Maxilock Cone Thread

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

Maxilock may work, but I don't think it will hold up over time and washing. I won't run it. I also don't like (and will not ever use again) the Coats & Clark varigated. Yuck.

I don't necessarily agree with you on that statement, but that is what is so great about living here, I can agree to disagree, and not get shot for it.

The quilt photo above is really a recent quilt picture of the quilt I made for my sister...it literally has been washed 15 times, (the first 8 times the first week it was done, because it bleed so badly and I was determined to get it out), and honestly it is 100% Maxi-Lock, it was make in 1999 I think I would have to go back to look, I took second place at the Nevada State Fair that year with it.

When I first started to quilt in 1994 that literally was the only thread I could get locally on a cone....the other threads that I quilted with were Mettler, Coats and Clark standard spools again because they were handy and I would get them at WalMart at midnight if I needed to.

I do agree that some threads are more linty than others, but that is a hand off for that type of thread, and if you use Sewer's Aid on a linty thread it stops the lint. But, cleaning the machine isn't a big deal for me either. I just blow out the bobbin area each time I change a bobbin or everyother one and I use tons of Sewer's Aid.

Signature threads were to costly when they first came out so it was several years into quilting before I could first off find them locally and secondly afford them. My second favorite after that was Star or YLI....both again very linty...and Sewer's Aid to the rescue there as well.

If you choose not to use a cheaper thread, that is totally up to you and your choice....but I don't think it fair to poopoo something that does work and maybe the only think someone else can afford or use in their machine.

Now I'll get off my soapbox as Shannon earlier stated.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Merryjo2003

It may run in the machines, but will it hold up as well as a better thread.

Yes it will...that's what we who use it regularly are telling you. Quilts that have been used like dish rags (at least that's what they're doomed to in my house being dragged around, used as tents to hide from pretend bears, rafts to drag your friend or your loot around the house..you get the picture) may have fabric disintegrate, but the Maxi Lock stands up to all of it.

Oh, and the "you get what you pay for" is not a life truth. You can see that in things all around us, but here's an example of how that belief that has been so ingrained into our thinking works in sales....

My step dad was a land developer and one of my jobs in high school was to sell property for him. If he had a lot that, for no obvious reason, didn't sell while the lots around it did, he'd raise the price and it would sell almost instantly.

We have been brainwashed to believe that if it costs more it's better. Maybe so/ maybe not.

Consumer testing has proven time and again that quite often a generic/cheaper product is as good if not better than the pricier name brand item. Sometimes not, but often enough that you can't judge a product by it's price.

Maxi Lock is good thread- works good, lasts good, doesn't cost the farm. A win/win in my book, but then I is just a redneck country girl. LOL:P

I think that we all have our favorites. I have used Maxi-Lock for years....in my serger. I tried it on my Gammill once because it was the perfect color but I didn't like the lint or the thread breakage.

I have a new washing machine, it uses that HE (high-efficiency) detergent. Would I put my old Tide in that machine? No. I consider myself a wise shopper but sometimes you just have to trust the manufacturer to tell you what works best in your machine. I want my washing machine to last a long time.

I want my quilts to last a long time, too. So I listen to the experts on oiling, maintenance and care of my machine.

And I listen to the expert on thread. For me, that is Bob Purcell. And this is what Bob says about thread twist and quality.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/general-thread-information/twist-and-quality-why-twist-is-important-in-thread

But in the end, it still comes down to "I think that we all have our favorites. "

Wow, so sorry I made a comment since I seem to have stepped on so many toes. If you have good luck with it, more power to you. I thought this forum was for people to share information not to jump down other people's throats for commenting. I have to go with what experience has taught me as do you. I have also found that generally you do get what you pay for. Also, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.........it usually a duck. There are always exceptions to the rule. I will keep my comments to myself. Good luck to you.

And, thank you to those who e-mailed their support to me separately.;)

I am a huge Maxi-lock thread fan. It's what I first put on my machine to PPP and it was great. Let me come out of the closet and say my other favorite is Thread Art. Maxi has a non-shiny hue and. Thread Art has a glossy shine. It depends on the effect tht I am going for on the particular quilt I am working on as to which thread I use.

Originally posted by Merryjo2003 Also, if it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, quacks like a duck.........it usually a duck.

And, thank you to those who e-mailed their support to me separately.;)

all poodles are dogs, but not all dogs are poodles

And thanks to the people who have emailer/U2Ued me also!

and,I have no issue with people who SHARE different opinions than me. but I do have issues with people who make me/tell me that the difference of our opinions makes one of us superior than the other...

Let me tell you a little story that may amaze you. In the late 1980s I taught home economics in town. We had a manufacturing plant here in town, Big Yank, which made clothing. I had my students (and my daughter at home) fill out a form justifying why they wore a certain brand of blue-jeans. Each said what they liked and why (just as we did in this thread). Mostly they said it was the color of the jeans and the “cut” that caused them to buy a particular brand. I made and appointment and took the students to the plant on a field trip. See, I knew they were cutting jeans that month. We started off in the pattern department and they showed us the jeans pattern and how it was cut, then on to the construction line and finally to the pressing, labeling and packaging section. The first 100 pairs to come off the line got a little triangle added to the back pocket and were put in a plastic bag. The next 100 came off got a different label. A total of 6 labels were attached and packaged in different bags. One of my boys finally caught on and asked the manager about it. He said, “Oh, yes! They are all the same at the beginning of the line but they get different here!” When the student asked, the manager said the stamp on the pocket was the only difference but to take a look at the packaging. On the package was the price. The highest was $69. And the lowest was $19. The only difference was the label on the hip. My students had a better appreciation for fellow students who shopped at Penny’s or Sears after that experience. My daughter never asked for another designer pair of jeans again.

When I got my longarm I used R and A thread YLI,Signature ,I got thread from Thread Art,Maxi-Lock and my sewing machine mechanic carries thread. You name it,I tried it.

After all my experimenting with diff threads and brands I use Maxi-Lock for cust who want varigated thread and the thread that I get from Greg...6000yds of very fine poly thread for $3.50 a spool. He sells to the industry and carries top quality merchadise. I get all my supplies from him,needle,bobbins,etc.

The spools last a very long time.

Greg has an Ebay store...azarsewing store if you want to see his threads.

It quilts wonderful,I have a choice of over 200 colors and one of my friends,who has a LA in Co, uses his thread. I send her a box when ever she calls.

I buy 2 spools,one for the machine and one for the bobbin winder.

Thread is a personal choice,just like buying a certain brand of machines,cars,food,etc. I buy what works for me and my machine and the durability.

off my soap box

I'm reading here, and just wanted to ask:

Are you talking about regular plain Maxi-Lock serger thread?

Or are you all talking about Maxi-Lock "Swirls" serger thread?

There is a difference if you read the specs. and the prices as well.

Someone posted a link to American & Efrid site. Thank you for that information.

If you read this link and pay attention, "Swirls" is the serger thread they recommend for long arm quilting. Not their "regular" serger thread. Maxi Lock "Swirls" is $9.95 a cone of 3000 yds. of 100% spun polyester. The price alone could be for the dye content or the actual ply and the fact that it is spun. Spun is different than plain polyester. Stronger and more heat and abrasive resistant as compared to regular 100% polyester.

I'm somewhat surprised at how many of you pros are using regular serger thread if that is indeed what you are chatting about as I have found it rather thin looking, and after washing the thread does get a bit of fuzzy appearance on the outer shell of the thread like the core polyester has been scrubbed. Sort of like Wooly serger thread does after washing. I have used plain serger thread a few times on a baby quilt sitting and quilting on my sewing machine a long time ago---and the appearance was rather bland overall. It's O.K. in a pinch, but I wouldn't set out to stock up on "regular" serger thread for long arm quilting. And the Swirls sounds expensive for the effect it gives compared to other long arm quilting threads like Signature and Perma-Core. Which are even less expensive cost wise and look a bit more substantial.

Just some random thought, and I better stay out of this as I don't use serger thread--- except on my serger.

Originally posted by Sparkle

Are you talking about regular plain Maxi-Lock serger thread?

Or are you all talking about Maxi-Lock "Swirls" serger thread?

Angie to answer you question...yes to both...regular plain Maxi-Lock and "Swirls" maxi-lock....

"Buy what you can afford and WHAT works for you....if your machine likes it, then its a good thread.....you don't have to buy the most expensive threads to have a successful quilt, its all in if your machine likes it or not. Lucky me I can use just about anything"

I agree with Bonnie on the above statement however, I prefer Superior for the reasons stated. Everyone has their own way of doing things and preferences for "ingredients". If you have no complaints and are happy..Great!

I also agree with Hester...charity and QoV quilts are just as important to me as any I would put in competition. The person receiving the quilt deserves the best I can give, which may be different from someone else.

The only thing I will add is this. My decisions for choosing the LA I did were partially based on the poor stitch quality and constant thread breakage that occurred when I was testing the machine. The rep changed the thread 2x but it didn't make a difference. When I asked what thread it was she said, MaxiLock. Maybe it wasn't the thread but in any case, I didn't buy that machine.

I will continue to value all the comments and education from all of you.

I have used the maxi lock for my sewing machine and serger. The only problem I have ever had with it is the colors black and navy. For some reason those 2 color do nothing but break on all of my machines. And it wasn't just one cone, I bought 4 at one time for my surger. My LA is new and I only had the maxi lock, so that is what I have been using to practice with.

I had intended on buying thread at Innovations from Superior, but now that there has been so much discussion and so many names put out there, I will look further into the other brands as well.

I didn't know that maxi lock made a varigated thread. I have never seen it. Do you have to order it?

All in all this has been a very interesting discussion. It is good to have differing points of view. Sometimes you learn things you didn't know.

Thanks for all the information.

Debbie

Originally posted by dbz98236

I didn't know that maxi lock made a varigated thread. I have never seen it. Do you have to order it?

Debbie

Debbie, usually where ever you can find Maxi-Lock, they have it on the same round the varigated.... Hancock Fabrics, carry it, Joann's use to, but they have cancelled all serger threads, You can mail order it, but I have even found it in the mom and pop sewing and vaccum stores. Just keep a eye out for it and you will find it. Yes, the varigated is a bit more expensive than the regular serger threads, but it comes in some yummy colors. The repeat isn't short its pretty long, and that also why I like it.

Thank God for so many choices out there. I have been piecing with Maxi-Lock and have quilted with it since I first started quilting ten years ago. Never had any problems and my first quilts still look great. Now, I will tell you all that my experience with some of Superior Threads has not been so good. On some of the quilts I have quilted, the quilting is coming out. My very favorite thread to quilt with is Perma Core.

I don't think anyone, including me, meant to say that our favorite thread, whichever it may be, is better than anyone else's favorite. And I for one apologize if anyone took it that way.

Thankfully we are all made different and our machines are all different and like different threads. I run a variety of threads in mine with success, except for Rainbows.

I sincerely hope there are no hard feelings because of this "thread".

Joann's stopped carrying Maxilock but is carrying Gutterman in the cone for the same price as Maxilock.

Sylvia: LOVE that post, it kinda says what's sometimes amiss with our thinking...

To others: I have used Maxi Lock a lot, find that darker colors have multiple issues, and also notice the age and whether the thread has been in the sun (faded?) makes a noticeable difference in performance, both in sergers and DSM. I haven't used it on Milli, mostly because I really fell in love with Bottom Line and So Fine..:D

All that said, our great great great grandmamas used lots of things to get the job done, as recently as the 1930's my grandma took the thread out of worn clothes, wound it on empty wooden spools, then used it on whatever it would match. I inherited many spools of rumpled thread....The quilts she used it on are fine, beautifully soft, and have lasted 4 generations of heavy use....:D:D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Tony,

Here is a link to the Marathon site. http://www.marathonthread.com

The thread I use the most is 100% poly emb. thread. The King size cones are very inexpensive. I try to buy all I will need for the year at MQS every year. Mr. Kay (the rep for Marathon) has a booth at MQS every year called "The Thread Man". He's a great guy, remembers me from year to year. This thread has a nice sheen, is thin and strong. I don't like a lot of thread build up in my back tracking and it's great for me. I do not like 100% cotton thread, the lint drives me crazy and I have more breakage with that than anything.

Archived