locking stitches-opinions please

Just curious, when your thread breaks (this is happening ALOT today) How much do we need to really be sure the stitches are locked. I start about 1/2" from the broken thread and do tiny stitches on top till I get to the end of stitching, then continue on. I don't know what is going on today but the thread is drivin' me crazy. The fabrics in this quilt are very plain too so everytime I have to repair, it shows.:mad:(

I think it's the weather...or the phase of the moon...or the planet's alignment. I have been having an AWFUL time with thread breaking and skipped stitches. Eight hours yesterday to do one E2E king size. Something happened at least once (usually 2-3 times) on every pass.

As to your question, I just re-trace about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of stitches to lock everything down.

Hope things get better (for both of us)

I'm always nervous about the shiny, thin threads. I tend to overdue the backtracking just so I don't have to worry. Doesn't look as good but I don't think it will pull out. I usually bury the thread that broke after pulling out some stitches then do a little backtrack at the restarting point

Must be an up north problem because I'm running threads today that I've never been able to run in the past.

Seriously though, I stitch right over the broken ends, teeny tiny stitches that sort of criss cross the broken pieces, then continue on. I'm not sure if that's the right way or not, but it works for me.

Whenever I break thread, I pull out the ends to a spot like a point, or a seam line until I can knot and bury the tails. I got in the habit of doing that when I started quilting so that's what I've continued to do. When I start again where my stitching ends, I start in the last needle hole that I made. I swear I cannot see where I stopped and where I started!!

Oh man, I am soooo lazy. I go over with tiny stitches. However, I will be a better longarmer if I take the time right?? Today I got self threading needles and I will grumble grumble 'cause I'm still having thread breakage today:mad:

Archived