MQX questions, hope to go

Gator

I think me, Michele of MichelesLongArm and Georgene might be going to MQX, yipee!!! Have any of you taken the train? We can catch a train in Va Beach (Newport News) to Providence. It will take about 12 hours but driving would be the same. Do they have a luggage restriction like the airlines (I have plenty of empty duffel bags for stuff). I know that we have to make reservations soon but the classes don't come out until Oct. Are the vendors open the whole week or just the days that the show is open to the public? So many questions, so little time.:(

The vendors open up on Wednesday and go through Sunday afternoon, I think it was last year...we got to go in on Tuesday for early shopping so its pretty much open all week.

I haven't decided yet if I'm going or not, but I will plan on coming over for two days if I get it into my schedule...with MIL's situation in the air, I really don't want to plan on a whole week...also am starting to plot out and plan the next show quilt...on the fabric hunt now.

Connie,

You are going to love MQX! It is awesome. I have gone for 3 years and am looking forward to the new location for 2010. Should be great. The teachers are excellent...the classes are teriffic! Glad to hear you are going, too. It has a homey, clubby feeling. Only hope the new, giant conference center still maintains that feeling.

APQS'ers usually gather somewhere for a little fun too! Last year we all wore roses so we could find each other.

There was an arrangement with a packing store in New Hampshire to make shipping goodies easier on the travelers...I would expect the show organizers would make similiar arrangements, as it was very popular. If you have limits on luggage on the train, you could see what the hotel offers...or contact the show organizers. They are good with all those details.

The vendors were open Wednesday night through Sunday. May be a little different with the new venue??

Connie, contact me directly if I can help with anything!

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

This year was my first year to go and I enjoyed it so much. not sure if I will be going next year or not as it is pretty expensive with a flight involved, but surely will go again in the future, Might have to skip and go every other year. Make a list and get supplies while there is no shipping fees. Sorry next years won't be tax free like NH but oh well!

I have hotel reservations for the show, but have not figured out my transportation yet. I will not be driving; that I do know. Does Amtrak have a terminal/stop near the show? I have not done any research yet, but the train sounds OK to me. Or, is there an airport nearby? I could fly, too.

I am interested to see what others are doing on the east coast.

Thanks everyone, I think that the 3 Virginian's will be coming to MQX. I have to get the dates from the other girls and make reservations. Sandra AMTRAK does stop in Philly and Providence. Wouldn't that be a hoot if you boarded the same train we were on!! Bonnie, I hope things work out I would love, love to meet you. Heidi, finally I might get to meet my long lost sister. Ok, I'm getting excited and it's over 6 months away.

FYI, called the Westin to make reservations today for 3 adults. Asked for 11th through the 17th APR 10. They had rooms but we would have to stay 2 days in a room with 2 double beds then move into a room with a King bed and roll away for the remaining days.:( So I would say that they are fairly booked for MQX. I did get a room with 2 doubles in the Hilton (a little more expensive. I asked about a roll away bed in the room with 2 doubles but they said the city fire code wouldn't allow it. There's more hotels in the area but their prices are more since the Hilton and Westin are doing the group rate (blocks of rooms).

I made my reservations at the Westin for the 10th-17th for one King. They said I had to stay in a room with 2 dbl beds too the first night and then move into my King. They said I could probably request to be in my King room the day I arrive. Must have another convention there before MQX?

Oh Linzi we in the northeast have lots to see! Boston is not far away, Keepsake Quilting is also not far away. Just depends what all you want to see. NY city is probably only a couple of hours from RI and of course NY is only 3 hours. We have lots of quilt shops and other site seeing things, just depends what you are looking to do. You can always come visit Bonnie and I in NY.

That's a wonderful offer, Heidi! I have a travel-quilt-chum so we would probably stay in a motel sort of place. She would like to go to Houston but I especially want to do longarming. April is earlier in the year than I would like but it sounds like a great show - and straightforward to get to. Will give it some serious thought...;)

Linzi,

Yes April is a bit early in the year around here. You never know if you will get a snow storm. The year before last we drove to MQX in an ice/snow storm but we made it! They keep the roads well plowed. My BIL & SIL live only an hour from Providence so I'll have a quick place to stay. there are many things you can do this way and you can even travel by train if you don't want to rent a car. I only take the train into the city but Bonnie drives there! MQS is much the same as MQX I think but they do seem to have loads of fun at their banquet! I have 2 exta room and if my daughter is gone I'll have 3 rooms so plenty of room for you and your friend.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest Linda S

I'm so glad to hear that many of you will be coming! This will be my sixth year at MQX, and my second year teaching. There have been fabulous deals on airfare lately. My friend Ronda Beyer and I will be traveling together and Ronda got her ticket round trip from Portland, OR to Providence for $250!! I was really lucky and had frequent flier miles, so I got mine for $10. tee hee I hope to meet a lot of you there!!

Linda

P.S. taking the train sounds awesome. I sometimes take Amtrak to Seattle from Eugene to go to the Association of Pacific Northwest Quilters show. It's a great way to travel.

Sandra, have you thought about taking the train? We can get tickets from Norfolk for 88.00 one way. Your airfares are wild. I checked airfare from Norfolk, VA and it's 234.00 (travelocity) round trip and our fares are usually more expensive then others.

Archived