Feedsack Quilt - what a surprise!!! FINISHED

I just received a Feedsack Quilt top in the mail to be quilted. I expected a burlap type material, but find it to be a very nice cotton type. The design is a 12 patch on point with equal size plain squares on each side. There is also a nice size border around the whole Quilt. My customer suggested a overall e2e design, but I think it deserves more. I want to feather the border and wonder what those of you with experience in vintage Quilts would do with the rest. I was thinking of a feathered wreath in the plain squares and perhaps cross hatch the 12 square block?

post--13461902671517_thumb.jpg

The Quilt just came of the frame. Nothing was square on the sucker. Some squares were pieced by hand, others by machine. One border was 4 inches longer than it should have been, the other 2 inches shorter. All in all it turned out just fine. I used hooked feathers in the border to hide any fullness and used a big flower head in the open squares, put a motive in the setting triangles and outlined each seam of the littles squares as well as stabilized each seam of the blocks, triangles, and borders.

2127436690101261555NToFcY

post--13461902685563_thumb.jpg

If quilters in those days had our rotary cutters and mats, maybe they wouldn't be so wonky, huh?? I remember cutting out quilt blocks with scissors! :D Someone once told a story about how they used to use cardboard for templates and as the cardboard was used many times, often the piecing would get smaller and smaller from losing the edges of the cardboard. That would explain some of the un-even-ess.

Archived