stops and starts

If you set you machine for rather small stitches and take three forward and three back right over the first three and then two single stitches in a standing position, bring your threads to the top and cut, you should be secure and they shouldn't come out....however, you will see these and if you have a lighter thread on a dark color it could really really show... its all in what you want to see.

If you still feel its not secure you can dab a tiny bit of FrayCheck on the spot and I guarantee it won't come out.... If you dab a bit of FrayCheck on your button threads on a shirt, your shirt will wear out before the buttons come off...that's how good it works.

Yes if you get heavy handed with the FrayCheck it will turn white on dark fabric, but you only need to take a pin, dip into the stuff, and then touch the threads, you don't need to use the dropper. That will let way to much out, I've also been known to use a diabetic needle to drop it with.

I use about 7 very small stitches in a row. If I pull on top or bottom thread and one moves I might go back one stitch. After you're done sewing tug the top thread till it pops the bottom thread into the batting. Cut both threads, if still worried and a dot of Fray Block. I will sometimes pull on the top thread till it pops the bottom thread into the batting and then use a self threading needle to bury the top thread into the quilt without making a knot. Then add a dot of Fray Block.

I always start and stop with a lot of tiny stitches in row and maybe one or two stitches back if I have any doubt.

Originally posted by JoAnnHoffman

I use about 7 very small stitches in a row. I always start and stop with a lot of tiny stitches in row and maybe one or two stitches back if I have any doubt.

I do like JoAnn with about 7 teeny tiny stitches. No backtracking. Works good. But if I run out of bobbin thread, I pull thread to a point or seam line to get tails, then I tie and bury. If I am using slippery threads like Rainbows, sometimes I will dot a wee bit of fray check.

Maybe I do a little over kill but I do three or four little stitches back and forth, pull up the bobbin thread, knot and bury them. If I'm worried about the stops/starts showing, I'll skip the little back and forth stitches because it does tend to create a little build up of thread.

Once again, Bonnie to the rescue:D When are you going to write that book girlfriend? I will be first in line to buy one. I never thought about fray check on just the stitch with a small dabber of some kind. the only time I used it it left hard dark places cause it gobbed.

I use a huge doll armature needle and leave the tails when I can at least 8 to 10 inches long...take the thread and knot close to the quilt...thread the needle and go back in right at the base of the knot.....run the needle the length and then pull out...give the thread a tug and it will bury the knot....

Do I have to come over and show you...and bring my needle?

Archived