Genie Magic Bobbin Washers

Do you use them? How often do you change them? Do you place it over top of the spring in the bobbin case or instead of the spring? Do you have a source to purchase at a better price than $12.50 for 12?

I started using them yesterday, inserted one and so far quilted 3 Quilts and now I need to replace it already. That will be a very expensive gadget at that rate.

May I ask a question here on why you use the bobbin genie? Are you having problems with backlash with your regular bobbin case spring? If so, you know you can lift (gently bend) the little arms back up and this puts more pressure on the bobbin and helps to keep it from over spinning and it doesn't change the tension.

I am just curious on why these genies are being used, or what there purpose is.

Thanks for the info.

Patty the Bobbin Genie eliminates backlash and birds nests when changing direction at high speed, quote!

I am just not brave enough to experiment with your suggestion above. When I wind my own bobbins, aluminum, with SoFine, I get lots of backlash in the bobbin, my tension is good, so I used this bobbin genie yesterday and it is wonderful but, I did not remove the spring nor do I put the suggested drop of oil in the bobbin case, so that will be on the agenda for today,

Monika - I use them and am still on the fence as to whether or not they make that big of a difference. I put them on top of my spring. I haven't had to replace one yet and I have no idea how many quilts I've done with it. Probably 7 or 8 gueens I would guess. I was getting occational big loops underneath and that drives me crazy. They were out of the blue. I could stitch for hours and then get one. So annoying. I think this has stopped most of that.

I agree with Heidi, I am still on the fence. I used them in my old bobbin case and they helped there. But then I purchased a couple new cases and I haven't had the need to use them....I'm not getting any back lashing with the new cases. I should try what Patty suggested with bending the spring up on my old bobbin case and see if that makes a difference.

I sat through a class with Sharon S (I always misspell her last name...but you know who I'm talking about), of course she didn't have an APQS and she raved about those Bobbin Genies. I thought it sounded like a great idea, but then I talked to Mary Hibbs and she said we don't have the problems that some of the other machines have with backlash....Personally, I don't ever have backlash....great...now I've said it, I need to knock on wood!! ;)

The backlash problem is worse with the large "M" bobbins. If you are having problems with it in an "L" bobbin case, bend up the little fingers on your backlash spring (blue thingie) and that should take care of the problem. When your backlash spring fingers are in the right position and not "flattened down" then your bobbin should rest just slightly above the rim of the bobbin case and will go in if you press on it and then "bounce" right back up. That is the purpose of the backlash spring! To stop backlash. Oh and if you need a new one, they are only a few dollars and should last a long time. You don't have to buy a whole new bobbin case to get a spring, you can get those separately.

Thanks for the info Monika and don't be afraid to bend up the fingers.

What a wonderful bunch of people you all are, always willing to share and I love your confidence. I am using the Genie this morning without the backlash spring and it is working great. Once caught up with my Customer Quilts, I will experiment with bending the spring, etc and see where this gets me. I lost the spring that came in the original bobbin case with my Machine, heaven knows where it went, and I bought 3 new ones from J. Mitchesll but find they are a different spring and I just do not get the nice uncomplicated work out of them. Perhaps they need to be adjusted by bending???? Who knows.

Thanks everyone

I have used them for quite some time. Was not having any backlash issues but am always striving for better tension top & bottom so was worth the try. In the end I removed the spring, and found that with the genie, the back tension was just more consistent through the various shapes (circles, etc.). I did put the drop of oil in - that helps hold it in place and is a real help when removing the bobbin - that bobbin genie can fall out and hide in all kinds of places. I also think that using the drop of oil helps the bobbin genie last longer - have probably quilted 7 or 8 quilts with the last one and it still look good - just a bit discolored.

Thanks Meg, I am finding the same thing now that I removed the spring, nice and consistent stitches and tension. I used a drop of oil on a Qtip and just lightly swiped the bottom of the case. I am very pleased with the results in this Quilt so far.

However, it is a appliqued Quilt and my customer wanted an all over pattern and I find my needles getting dull at an alarming rate. Yikes!

I have used the bobbin Genie's in my Millie as well as my Bernina and love them. As the edges begin to fray just give it a little trim around the edge and put it back in. Only do this once as it gets to small to do it again. I also use a single drop of oil under it so that it does not drop out as I change bobbins.

I have them available for $10 plus postage just email me if you need them

Raquel Birch

APQS Representative California

r.birch@sbcglobal.net

A package of Bobbin Genies came with my new Prodigy, and since there is no back lash spring in the back of my bobbin case I thought these must be suggested for this new machine. Size L bobbin case. With a tiny hook or pig-tail down inside the curve of the bobbin case which the thread runs through after it comes out of the little bobbin case spring hole.

I put a drop of oil on the back of the case and insert the Bobbin Genie. Since I have no experience with them I want to thank all of you that responded in regards to how often you should insert a new one. I will look for ragged edges the more I use the machine. I'm on my third quilting project now...I would think the Bobbin Genies would last quite a while just from looking at them. Some sort of teflon plastic.

Thanks for the tips!

Archived