No more Santa at North Pole, Alaska

Shana,

I read the story about USPS cancelling the Letters from Santa program in North Pole, Alaska. That is so sad. I read the article and I understand why they did it, but I feel as though all of the nice programs are going by the wayside and replaced with red tape. It's a sad day. Here is the link to the article:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_santa_s_mail_canceled

Why can't the parent respond to their child's letter? I don't think most children check where a letter has been post marked from or maybe the local post office can have a cancellation stamp marked North Pole? My kids never wrote to Santa and they didn't miss out on anything. I don't feel it is an issue of taking Santa out of Christmas. It is more of a reflection of the times we live in, sad as it may be.

Originally posted by Gator

This is sad. First they want to take Jesus out of Christmas and now Santa!!! What's next the New Years's baby and the Easter Bunny.:(

Don't you dare mess with my Easter Bunny.... its bad enough they screw around with Christmas and New Year's you touch my birthday and I will come unglued....:P:P:P

It was not until I was cleaning out boxes at Mom's that I came across all my letters to Santa. It was amazing how Mom always made us leave the letter in the house post box. (Mom then pulled the letters, opened them and saved them.) We always thought that Santa magically recieved the letters.

Of course, the proof was Christmas morning that he did exist when we would receive one or two of those"secret gifts" we never told our parents about which was in the letter. (So we thought):P:P

As a parent,grandparent, aunt/uncle or adult, we need to nuture our children in believing and having dreams. In all the Christmas stories that I grew up with no one every got a letter back from Santa. :o

So it is up to us and not large organizations to see that our children experience the magic of Santa with understanding that it is Blessed with the birth of Jesus.

Sorry if I sound like I am preaching. I have a step daughter who has already taught her 4 year old son that Santa is a story and there no Jesus. :( This really hurts both me and DH. (tear) :(

Yet, we still celebrate with my family and friends that do believe in the Lord and Santa. :) Now where are all those Christmas decorations with the Navitity set?

Our local post office has been doing this for years...

They have a special mailbox inside the office that says "For Santa"

Then, the people who work there write letters back to these kids and deliver the mail to their mailboxes. They even have a special postmark that they use that says from Santa at the NorthPole or something like that!

It works great. Only our local people are involved and it seems to be safe, as they already know most of our kids anyways.

I probably should add that our small area only has about 4500 population. But, it is still something to consider. :)

I will also add that my children do not participate in this Santa tradition as they are well aware that the true meaning of Christmas is the birth of our Lord.

;)

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Hey, you could mail them all to Shana's address!!! She could be "Santa".

Ooooh Nooooooo! Don't you dare do that, MISSY! :P

hehehehe!

Well, I did hear this news and it is really sad indeed. Doesn't make much sense to me. In all honesty, I think the PO is making up an excuse not to provide this Christmas post mark service any more because they are cutting back so much and don't want to hassle with it. That's my humble $.02 opinion about it. But they are using the excuse of child molesters as the reason. Yeah right.... I don't buy that excuse.

My post office in North Pole, Alaska is really cutting back. That post office has cut back hours -- now it's only open from 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM Monday thru Friday, and open a few hours on Saturday. I work full time so the only time I can mail or pick up any packages from that PO is on a Saturday. It really sucks. The USPS is raising its rates and cutting back on staff and hours. I think they are trying to go out of business!

Here's the real reason for all of this: If you read the last paragraph of the news article, it says it all: "....Postal Service officials, who consider the North Pole effort part of the agency's giant Operation Santa program, originally said the Alaska district had too few resources to deal with the time-consuming new rules and was therefore opting out."

Archived