If you want to see my Inked Quilt Blocks....

The article with the photo of my Quilt Block Tattoo is in the new issue of American Quilter by Barbara Polston - AQS. January 2010. Mine finally came in the mail today.... a few ladies from guild have already been emailing me about it! My photo is on page 51 (not "area 51" lol!!!) Karen McTavish is in there too and a few other "Inked" Quilters.

What timing - our local home magazine just put out a free magazine with an article all about my business in it. That came out Tuesday. You could say that it has been a Good Week!!! :cool::cool:

We took that photo back in May or June ...... My arm is now finished, but we will go back in and do a final touch-up session.

I am sitting in my Grandma's old chair that my husband used to refer to as the "mouse chair". It needed alot of help! He wanted to burn it..... I wanted to save it! I purchased Aunt Grace backing fabric and just tightly quilted it with 80/20 and muslin and took it to an upholstory place.

On my lap is the quilt my Grandma made for me when I was about 6 or 8 yrs old. I remember walking upstairs to Ben Franklins and picking out the fabric colors with her. She even let me pick the pattern. It has never been washed, it is usually folded in the cedar chest she gave me. I know she touched this and loved making it..... I miss her dearly.....

oh - forgot to mention that now my husband wants to do my other arm too, so we can "even things up"

I already have a Celtic Cross over there and I did a sketch of how to do some quilted cross-hatching around it. I have looked through my "Collector's Dictionary of Quilt Names and Patterns" book and picked out blocks with pattern names like David & Goliath, King of David's Crown, Crown & Cross or Crown of Thorns, The 3 Crosses (also called: Cross upon Cross or Golgotha), Hosanna and so on....

Now he can start drawing up the next project. I told him I want to wait until after Christmas though - I am a bit busy right now! At least work on the left arm will be better to heal since I am right handed. It was always a bit touchy for a few days afterwards and working on the back of the machine was never a good thing then. I always tend to wrap my arm around Mel and hug him when I to start or anything.....

Judi! Congrats! Saw the article and it's great! I'd love to have a tatoo, but I laugh when I think of me as an old wrinkled (dead) person lying on the (slab) and and the coroner going "eeeeeewwwwwuuuueee"... LOL I know, morbid. Sorry! I admire you and Karen and anyone else who has the "kahunas" to do it!!! LOL

Bobbi - I have to admit that I never thought that far ahead.... but when it comes to that time - I won't "be" there to hear what they say - thank-goodness!!!

I have a full back piece that we had finished before we were married and my wedding dress was made with a heart-shape cut out in the back. You should have seen all of my Grandma's friends up in the choir loft watching to see my tattoo - - funny!

Not so funny when you are in the hospital, trying to give birth and the nurses take turns coming in to see my back....... grrr..... But they did remember me 4 years later!!

I actually have a couple on my lower legs too, the idea there is for people to see the ink & artwork over all of the spider and vericous (sp?) veins!!!

Our Tattoo time is just some quality "us" time..... does that make sense?? He likes his work and does such a good job, and I am good for about 2 hours. I can sit there and read a book or we talk. No kids, just us.

Beautiful Art. I have several tats but mine aren't quilt related. Now I'll have to go get some quilt ones!!! My longest sitting for a tat was 3 hours, it didn't get painful until the last 30 minutes then, yikes. I bet if they offered quilt tats at MQX, it would be very profitable!!! Quilter's are wild and crazy artists.:cool:

I know exactally what you mean Connie - like I said - I am good for 2 hours - then I start flinching and twitching...... He only pushes me when we are doing outline work. He wants to always get ALL of the outline done in one sitting. The arm was 3 1/2 hours of outline alone!!

I am glad he doesn't do a set-up at Sturgis - but Boy - oh Boy! That would be some money! I will have to talk to him about MQX or MQS - What an awesome idea!!

Archived