Help!!

Of course...it is the week before Christmas and my DH decided that it would really surprise Luke and Becky (or son and daughter-in-law) if I handed them their "wedding" quilt on Christmas...since it is only 15 months late :o Okay, if I work like a white tornado and some kind of mad woman, I might be able to do it.....thread is breaking every 10" or less. I was quilting with Lava...so I changed right in the middle of the quilt to Sew Fine...you can't tell at all. That didn't work. I have a new Ruler Mate and thougth there could be a burr in the hole so I took it off and put my regular needle plate back on. Still breaking. I changed all the thread guides...once John Mitchell told me that if I use Monopoly or the clear threads it will wear on those thread guides. I have just stitched in the ditch the logs on this huge Log Cabin quilt, so that couldn't hurt to change them out. I have used thread lubricant. I have adjusted the tension top and bobbin. What now?? Any ideas? I'm so close to finishing this quilt that I can taste it....but yet, I am so far away and I need to get my thread to stop this madness!!! Help!!! Where is the screaming face when I need it ;)

I did unthread the top thread and rethread. I tried a piece of batting in the first thread guide from the spool. I took the bobbin case out and put it back in several times. Then I changed bobbin case to a brand new one. I use prewound bobbins and I changed the bobbin to a new one. I have blown all the lint out of the bobbin area. I then wiped it out very well and oiled, then wiped the oil out and started again. Still breaking :mad:

Mary Beth,

Try loosening the top and bobbin thread a LOT to see if you can get it to stop breaking (it will look terrible, but the goal is to see if the thread path or tension is the issue). If you can get it to sew without snapping, it helps eliminate the possibility of burrs (though there could still be a hidden one on the hook.)

If it sews, then start slowly tightening up the tension, starting with the top. Tweak as necessary to balance the stitch; run the bobbin thread really loose if you have to.

Double check that the needle is an MR 4.0 1955-01.

Turn the needle slightly to the left.

Hold your tongue on the right side of your mouth instead of the left. (Okay, just lightening the mood a little bit!:))

That was a tip from my tech. when I was having a lot of breakage. It was also breaking at the needle. No burrs were found and that was the last fix. Hope you get it sorted out !! Everytime I have problems, tension, breakage, etc. I always think of you. It stops me from slapping my machine ! :P:P Hope you and yours have a Blessed Christmas ! Glenda

I was holding my tounge...but not to either side of my mouth...this Baptist girl just about became a shoutin' Baptist...only what I was about to shout would have gotten me kicked out to the denomination :P Not really...it was frustrating tho. What ever I did, fixed it. It is working fine now. Thank you for your ears...I am taking a break now...but when I get started again, Dawn I will pay attention and do as you said. Thank you.

Thank you for all of the ideas. I will keep them all in mind as I try to get this quilt finishes. I have put thread lubricant on the thread, and changed the cone of thread. As for the quilt sandwich...I have had that problem a long time ago and learned my lesson then. This quilt is only attached by the backing because I have already quilted the quilt with the SID and am going back now trying to get the feathers in place. I was finally able to finish the body of the quilt, where I was having the most problems. Right now I am turning this bad boy...110 x 110 it is like wrestling a lazy moose...I think, I've never really wrestled a moose of any kind, but it is what I imagine it feels like. I will let you all know how it goes, hopefully I won't have to try any more remedies and the quilting will go more smoothly.

Archived