What's YOUR favorite Christmas Memory?

I used to always have family and friends in for Christmas Eve. My folks started it when they were a young couple because at that time traveling with 5 little ones was not very easy... (still not) That way they could have neighbors who were (as close as family) come over for hors doerves, etc. (sic?) It was an awesome way to spend the holidays... I miss it terribly.

So, You are all like family now, and I want you to share your favorite holiday memories with me! Here's mine:

In 1979, it was my first year of being divorced. I couldn't afford to drive to my folks house up in Ohio from Indianapolis so it was just the boys and I for Christmas. I couldn't even afford a turkey! The boys wanted cowboy hats, so that was their only present that year. I made spaghetti for dinner and I had $3 to my name. We went to the $1 movie up town. I was secretly devastated that I couldn't have a better Christmas for my precious sons.

Later that night, my older son came to my room and found me crying. He hugged me and told me " Mom! this was the best Christmas ever!" We were a great family, just the 3 of us...

Still brings me to tears to think about it...

How 'bout you guys?

My DH and I were talking about this the other day. I would have to say my favorite was when our church would have the children's Christmas program. All of the children wore short, white, choir robes that hit about our waist or just below and red bows. We would sing carols that we had worked on for weeks, some children would have speaking parts...I was sometimes one of those kids, gee, I wonder why ;) Then after the service was over we would walk out the back door - or entrance into the sanctuary and shake hands with the preacher - him wishing us all a Merry Christmas. Then the deacons were there handing each child a small paper bag filled with Christmas candy, a candy cane, and an orange or an apple. We could get all of these things at home but those are some of the memories I treasure. It was all centered around the greatest gift of all, the birth of Jesus.

I can't say I have one particular Christmas story that stands out from little snippets that I still hold dear in my mind. ...crunching through the snow to church for candlelight Christmas Eve service, icicles on our tree actually made from metal(that I liked to flatten out one by one), the year I got a tiny doll tea set and had a tea party with my Dad ( not usually a warm/fuzzy kinda guy), making stencils on our living room picture window with my sisters with Sno-Coat, and others. But this year will be a memory maker as later today my DH and I travel to DD's house to celebrate our DGS's first Christmas. I will be there for 4 days and am hoping the events of those days will stay with me for many years to come. Merry Christmas to everyone on the list and hoping you all have a joyous time with family and friends. Sally

When I was young my father told us that he was getting us a new puppy for Christmas...we were soooooo excited...he left but came back without a puppy...but did have a Spider monkey! WOW -I LOVED that monkey...unfortunately his toilet habits involved throwing "stuff" wherever it could and we had to make a choice...my mom or the monkey...mom stayed...I got outvoted! lol Rita

When I was 11 I wished for a Red Ryder 200 shot air rifle with a compass in the stock and that thingie that tells time--no wait--that was "A Christmas Story", which I have watched three times today while wrapping, cleaning, and snacking! The leg lamp is in the window again this year.

Actually, with 5 siblings and very loving parents, every Christmas of my childhood was frantic, exciting, and wonderful. Recent Christmases are great--son here for breakfast and dinner, two sisters and spouses spending Christmas breakfast--our tradition for many years. Family is what makes the best Christmases--either your biological one, or the one that you choose for yourself!!

Favorite memory as a kid: the presents were wrapped in the comics section of the newspaper. My sister and I would read the wrapping paper before opening the gifts. :D

Favorite memory as an adult: 5 years ago for Christmas...we were struggling financially...and that I had totaled our pickup 3 years before that in a terrible single vehicle accident. I was driving our van that was killing us on gas. Times were hard.

Two things happened...my best friend bought Christmas gifts for each of my kids and supplied us with food items too, while another friend asked my husband to go to Sacramento for the day after Christmas to help him pick up 'something'. That something was a used Ford Explorer 4 door that was given to us. My husband drove it home. Even though she thought it was worn out...we drove it for 3 years and put one set of tires on it...and then gave it away to another couple in need. They still have it and drive it too. :)

Merry Christmas to all my longarm friends. I am thankful for each and every one of you. The Lord is good! :)

THANKS! my sweet chat friends!

No one here this year, but I'll go to my brothers... it's ok, but not as fun as with my own kids... They're all in CA.

I just think it's amazing to hear what great memories we all have - they are all so varied and fun... And to think, we are all experiencing the same event! I LOVE Christmas thru the eyes of a child.

Have a blessed day!

Love -b

My favorite memory was our family going 10 miles into town for the Christmas eve service at church, then when we came home Dad would read the account of the birth of Jesus in Luke 2 (he had a great reading and singing voice). Then we opened our gifts. I don't remember any particular gifts, but do remember Dad reading from the Bible. I don't remember when he went out to do the chores.

We followed that reading and gifting on Christmas eve as we raised our 5 kids. As they got older, my husband had the girls (the son didn't play) play Christmas songs on the piano, too. Then the gifts.

Now we spend it with the oldest daughter and family and the two unmarrieds for supper and gifts. When it works the two girls and families from each coast join us. Christmas day is for the families to each do as fits them, usually playing and relaxing without demands from us to come, fix, eat, clean up. We get to sleep, read, play, sew, whatever floats our boats.

As a Kid the thought I was being killed when I was told I had to not only wait till after supper to eat, but the dishes needed to be not only WASHED, but put away, and Dad's annual popcorn balls, and carmel corn, AND peanut brittle needed to be made before I could open my present....and now as an adult, making Siana wait as I make popcorn balls and putter around till she starts to act like I am killing her.

BUT my most memorable Christmas was 35 years ago today....Gene and I made a semi-truck run to Iowa for a load of popcorn, and in a run down truck stop in Sioux City, Iowa... with only enough money for a tank of fuel and one hamburger, no drink and one bottle of milk for our 4 month old baby girl.

Amy was playing with the elderly couple behind us and I kept turning to apologize as she kept pulling the ladies hair, finally I moved her so she couldn't play as I felt bad. We had been talking about how concerned we were about not having enough milk for her, and how cold it could get between there and home. When counting out pennies and being possiblly a tad short, Gene went back to the truck to see if he could find some loose change to make sure we had enough to pay for what we had ordered, came back with a huge grin on his face as he not only found a few quarters, but a packet of formula I didn't know was where, so now we just needed to convince the waitress to give us a bottle of water and we would be set to go from Iowa to Miles City, Montana, and Amy who slept most car rides wouldn't be to hungrey before we got home.

The Elderly couple ate and left, but before we could leave the waitress came over and handed us a $20 bill and another hamburger platter with extra fries....and took the thermus and filled it with hot water for Amy's bottle. All given to us by the elderly couple who left. Never knowing their names so never getting to really say a proper THANK YOU...I tell this story to whomever will listen...hoping someday I will find someone who knows/knew them to let know know how blessed we both were for the Angels God sent that day.

As it was we didn't have enough fuel to get all the way home as it was snowing so bad and a blizzard was making travel hard on our old old semi....we ran out of fuel about 3 miles from town, I snuggled in the sleeper under blankets and tarps with Amy, while Gene walked into town to get help....he was just about frozen before he caught a ride with a car also heading into town.

So whenever I get the chance by silence or knowledge I pay forward my time and money....in the memory that there was a time God took care of me and mine.

Merry Christmas all....and I hope your tree was full of goodies, and your tummy's full with all the munchies you can cram in there.

Every Christmas has been a memory maker. I especially remember the ones when I was a kid (I was an only child). We lived kittycorner from the church. On Christmas Eve we would have oyster stew for supper. Then there would be a children's program at the church with the kids, choir and congregation participating. We would walk over to church (in MN it was usually through the snow) and then come home and open gifts. Very tired, we would go to bed, get up in the morning to go to church and then come home to play all day with my gifts.

Archived