Another use for salvages......

I haven't done anything creative with them yet, but I save them because they are so strong. You can tie things together with them. In fact, I have even tied someone's trunk shut or partially shut with a strip of selvage when they got something from me that was too big for them to actually close their trunk fully.

Mine still go in to the trash and always will:P:P These are great ideas, but I've got so many other projects going that to save one more item make make me a little crazier. I have about 10 fleeces to wash and prep for spinning (that is not counting the ones ready to spin), countless knitting projects, fabric dyeing, quilts in progress (as well as the others waiting in line)...oh and needle tatting too.

I throw out my little slivers of fabric left from rotary cutting,into a space in the back yard and birds build them into their nests. Also when I trim the poodles hair I do the same thing. They use them because we had a wind storm and I found a nest blown down from a tree. Poodle hair and strings within. LOL:DCarol

All good ideas! I have been cutting off and saving them for about 6 mths now... so don't have such a very big batch yet. Want to make one of those string quilts.....

I will think of the bird nests everytime I empty the pocket of my apron! All of those tails I clip while doing a quilt..... such pretty colors would look great in a nest!! Too cold right now to put out I think..... good to know for early spring though!!!:D

Nita - as for the batting scraps - I cut-up anything that will work for coasters - 4 x 4 or so for at our quilt show sales. The small pieces of Hobbs 80/20 work great for putting rubbing alcohol on and scrubbing down my rails..... I have a bag hanging full of scraps to grab for quick clean-ups. :)

I tie bows around the leaders that should hold my quilt top when I float my top with selvedge strips. This keeps the leader from unrolling. selvedges also held my tomatoe plants in place as well as my climbing roses. Am now saving some to make coiled basket with my sewing machine. I just cant bring myself to thowing these away and do find a use for them. Have stacking set of drawers under my machine. one drawer is for thread ends, one is for fabric scraps, one is for batting bits. The thread snippets I use in art quilts. The batting scraps comes in handy to clean the machine and rails.

I am loving this post about re-use!! I am not a fanatic about recycling, but love to find another use for something--it's the thought process, I guess. I saved the dog-ear snips from the HQTs of a huge autumn-colored quilt and filled a vintage jar. It is a cute decoration next to my batik ball--made from the even-up trimmings of another quilt.

I use a coffee filter taped to my machine to catch the thread trimmings. When I finish a quilt I gather all the thread and place in a zip-lock. I was saving all the thread to do a vest using the water-soluble yardage and thread snippets sewn down in a grid--ala Marilyn Badger. That will never happen in my lifetime, so I now save thread for an art-quilter friend who is thrilled to have the nice (read expensive/multi-colored/some metallics) thread in a zillion colors to use for her collages and postcards. Win/win.:)

What great ideas. If the selvage has a word or name in it, I cut off that part with a small seam allowance and put it in a bag I keep on a shelf. Around Christmas time it works great to add a name to the pages of the tiny fabric story books (8 page) I sometimes make for tiny people. I say sometimes cause I can easily go a year or so before I remember about them.

I throw the rest out but I'm thinking I should save the selvages from fabric to tie the donation quilts I do. It would sure be easier to carry them to the meetings to turn in. As for batting -- I have a small sewing room. I'd need a compression device to store all the scraps. When I take off a quilt, I wipe down the rails and table with a scrap and toss.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived