NEED QUILTING IDEAS FOR A FUND RAISING QUILT

This is a quilt top that I did up quickly this week for a friend of mine who is having her third round of cancer treatment and it's experimental and drugs not covered, and they cost $4200 per month. There is going to be a large fund raising event held in February and they have asked for auction items to be donated. I'm going to donate this quilt.

For some reason I can't get my head around how to quilt this top. Each time I look at it I think of Sandra and I can't think about what to quilt.

I'd like to do a custom job. Could you give me some ideas?

To give credit, where credit is due, it's an ATKINSON DESIGN, ATK-141, called STAR SPRINKLES. I actually bought the kit while at a quilt show in Fargo, ND in September 2009, from THE WALTZING QUILTER, Oakes, ND. I'm not really a batik person, but this just caught my eye.

It went together very quickly. My DH is holding it up for the photo and I'm not the best photographer, but I think you get the idea.

Thanks for any ideas/suggestions.

post--1346190321263_thumb.jpg

Linda, your quilt is beatiful. I'm sure there are others that will give you some great ideas for custom quilting but, just wanted to say that I sure wish I could just whip together a quilt. I've been working on piecing a queen size since Sept. It was suppose to be a 2009 Christmas present for my mother-in-law but, obviously didn't make that goal. And, it's and "easy" one. We just have way to much of other life.

I can see what attracted you to this quilt since I love dark colors. I would try DeLoa's dragon breath in the white because it looked so good on the other quilt. Stippling might take more time, but then I'm just a beginner. I like the idea of the feathers, too.

I'm sorry to hear about your friend. My thoughts and prayers are with her.

I would SID those stars and put a circle around them. then I would do a loopy feather to connect the circles. In the dark area I would do straight lines. What a beautiful quilt and donation this will be! I sure hope you bring in lots of $'s. I wish your friend all the best with her chemo. I lost a friend on New Year's day due to cancer. She was only 44! Sad that we have to make people struggle to have drugs that may cure them! My friend had to fight to have the last chemo too. Just makes me so angry!

Linda, I hope you get some really great ideas. I have two of these to quilt. It will be months before I will be able to use my Milli . I am in this thumb brace for 12 weeks and then I think I get a different one. Sorry about your friend, will pray for her. I lost my husband to cancer 14 years ago. Is is tough. Joyce

Linda,

I really love this quilt and can't wait to see it quilted. I think I would fill the white area with beautiful small scale feathers and either cc or use straight lines in the colored area. Not sure about the border. Í'm sure you will do a wonderful job on it, whatever you decide to do.

Jessica

Heidi,

I am sorry about your friend and for your loss, so sad! Linda, what a wonderful thing you are doing for a special friend! The quilt is beautiful and I am sure that it will bring in a nice amount to help with her chemo. I think I would do feathers in the white areas around the stars and I liked Heidi's idea of straight lines in the dark areas - a nice contrast.

At first, Linda, I thought the design was meant to be a signature quilt -- what about having the fundraiser attendees sign words of encouragement in the white?

I also see four patches in the dark area between the two white areas -- perhaps a motif could be done in each four-patch.

The background fabric is fantastic -- I'd try to pick threads that accentuate the colors.

Joan, I didn't think of "signature" quilt. What a great idea. I'll have to keep that in mind for another project, as I want this done for the auction/fund raiser.

Stitchinsally, don't be so hard on yourself on getting your quilt top done. Life happens and gets in the way sometimes. You'll get it done and be so proud you did. Even if you can only "get at it" a little at a time, it moves it along and before you know it, you're done!

Thanks everyone for your prayers for Sandra. She's in her early 40's, DH, daughter 16, daughter 11. She's been battling for about 6 years now. She has the most amazing outlook on life and lives each day to the fullest. Hair or no hair, Sandra keeps going, never covers her head and always wears a smile -- and if you sit still too long, she'll grab you and hug you! :)

Thank you so much for the great ideas. I had thought about doing straight lines through the dark area, maybe piano key or bead board on the borders, as the colours are dark and I don't think stitching will show much. (?)

I was trying to figure out how to do feathers in the light areas? I'm at a loss. Anyone? I know you're busy Heidi, but would you be able to draw out what you mean by "loopy feathers"? Or anyone else who could draw a feather for me in the light area. My brain has gone to mush with this quilt.

Thanks.............

This top is beautiful, and what a wonderful thing to do to help your friend. I hope it raises lots of money for the cause.

I didn't "see" the stars at first look...duh!, so Heidi's idea of putting a circle around them will bring them our more into the spotlight, so to speak. I like her ideas.

You received a lot of good ideas, so what ever combination of designs you do, it will look beautiful. Please share a picture of it when you are finished.

Archived