Outlining accurately???

Hi to all you experienced quilters - what is the most accurate way of outlining either a picture or applique? freehanding just doesnt seem to be accurate for me, are there any tools that help follow the outline? or is it just PPP all the way ??

MTIA.

:)

I too use the Appliguide...but find that I still get 'off'.

I suppose I do not let it get me down. In the scheme of an entire quilt...you won't notice a bobble here or there.

Now, I have never done a show quilt..so maybe this matters more. But, I will venture to guess that even the Big Boys and Girls get 'off' sometimes too when following an applique! Correct me if I am wrong any of you who quilt for show!

I took a class from Sharon Schamber several years ago when I first began researching Longarm quilting. She does all the background fill first, until she's really close to the applique. Then she sneaks in and does the outline, and back out to complete any last little bit of fill. She said doing the fill first helps to open up that area closer to the applique so that the outline is as close as possible to the applique. Of course whe was doing it freehand and using the foam and rice bag weights to steady the fabric. She may have had something there to help in spots, but I don't recall. Hope this helps!

Do you have the micro drive handles?

No I dont have the micro drive handles. What is the rice and foam trick all about then? I havent seen that anywhere.

I never know where to look when trying to be presice, where the needle enters, the hopping foot? then i get confused and wander off track !!! need more practice.

I don't seem to have a steady enough hand or concentration to do it neatly and I do have the Deloa Guide but maybe it needs frction dots under it and a quilter who is prepared to slow down...

However, I have worked around my ineptitude...I will do a MICRO loop the loop over the edge of the applique instead in a matching thread and then mini filler up to it.

Originally posted by Janette

No I dont have the micro drive handles. What is the rice and foam trick all about then? I havent seen that anywhere.

I never know where to look when trying to be presice, where the needle enters, the hopping foot? then i get confused and wander off track !!! need more practice.

Janette, I am very much the same, when doing Stitch in the ditch.

I sometimes think my Lenni just has a mind of it's own.:P

Below is a link for videos from Sharon schambers website. where she show how to make and use the rice bags.

If you dont want to watch her making them the bit about using the rice bags is about half way through the 3rd video.

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/videos/rice/a.html

Just editing this message as I found the other video where Sharon shows how she uses the rice bags and foam.

http://sharonschambernetwork.com/free_area/videos/foam_rice/index.html

I find that if I use a ruler or the appliguide on the left side and my micro handle on the right, use my SR, and go slow, it works for me..I do like to use either the clear thread or something that blends into the background. I have also noticed that the only thing that is noticeable is if you are doing a straight line, or long smooth curve next to an applique, if you don't have any wobles in that line then it looks pretty good.

Guest Linda S

I have a small oval template I got from Tracey Browning (Constantine Quilts). It helps me go around just about anything. It generally never leaves my quilting table.

Linda

Archived