TIP USING DRYER SHEET

Just wanted to share I tip I learned this week at my quilt club meeting. A gall was talking about running her thread through a NEW dryer sheet before using for applique. Said it goes like butter through the fabric. So....I cut a small piece and placed it in the first thread on my Milli. Worked great!!! No breakage. :D

Has anyone heard this before.

FYI, I am in Duluth today to take an all day class w/Karen McTavish. I'm soooo excited!!!!:)

I'm sooooo jealous! Karen's Mastering the Art of McTavishing is the first LA class I took when I was researching machine quilting. Your going to learn so much! She told us what a PITA charge is and I knew I was gonna like that girl!

Dryer sheet make total sense, too. I've heard of a wad of batting in the guide soaked with Sewer's Aid but not the dryer sheet. Thanks!

I haven't heard that it does. I know a lot of people do this, and there is a little box sold somewhere that sticks to the side of your machine that has a little sponge or something that you keep soaked in sewer's aid and run the thread through that as part of the thread path. I thinkj it eliminates static and keeps thread from breaking.

Does the batting soaked with the sewers aid do anything with the tension?

Dale

Hi Dale,

Yes, I think it does---You don't need to "soak" the piece of batting. Just a drop or two at the most is all that is needed right in the crease where the thread lays and run through. Otherwise it seems to affect the metal tension discs, and the thread tension. Or at least it does on my machine.

Someone also mentioned those little boxes with thread lubricant inside that can be attached to a machine. It is suggested by the manufacturer that this type of thread lubricant application should be placed after the upper tension discs, not before.

Hope this helps.

Glad that you enjoyed that tip!!!! Amazing how simple things like dryer sheets can be soooo useful.

I just returned from my day w/Karen McTavish and it was beyond wonderful. She is such a nice person and I learned soooo much. I am just really inspired to work on do fabulous things on quilts and get my business in a much better place.:)

It was awesome!!!!

Thank you Karen!!!!!!

longarmlisa: I have used the dryer sheet method for my domestic sewing projects and it works wonderful. However, I am confused about using it for our longarm machines. You would have to run an aweful lot of thread through the sheet and then rethread it back on the spool. Am I missing something?

I have used the dryer sheet and it works well. BUT, I have a real issue with that wad of batting hanging out in my thread guide on my $20,000.00 machine!!!! I thread my machine a little different and lately I have been using Darlene Epps' method and I have eliminated the problem with the thread jumping around. I use the dryer sheets to wipe down my machine before I start quilting and this really helps with the static. I also rub the cone of thread with the dryer sheet. I have never used thread conditioner but I wonder if it helps with static.

Sandra

Archived