MQS Quilt Show Entries

barbm

I'm sooo confused!! Here's what I received in an e-mail about MQS just this morning:

"The MQS Show Committee is very excited to share with you the 14th Annual Machine Quilters Showcase. Deadlines are looming, get your quilt entries in - remember - it does not have to be quilted when you enter it! You have 5 more weeks before you have to ship it! You stand a chance to win part of over $40,000 in prizes donated by our very generous sponsors - but ONLY if you enter!" (bold empahsis is mine BJM)

But I just printed out the Quilt Entry Form, and in the wording on the bottom of the second page it says:

"Two (2) color photographs are required to be sent with this entry. One full view and one detail view showing the quilting stitches."

Sooo, guess I better call somebody, huh?:o

As long as I have been entering quilts in MQS, I was told that the entries don't have to be COMPLETELY quilted. Thus, my goal always is to get SOME quilting done before sending in my pictures - with this quilting trying to show what I'm about to do... Binding and embellishment come later...

Without those few extra weeks I'd have a hard time to get any thing done...

So, I'd say take advantage of the extra time you didn't expect to have and get those quilts entered.

See you all at the show in May.

Birgit

Okaaaay, here's the skinny, right from Linda Hamson:

Quilts need NOT be quilted at the time of entry. The photo(s) sent with the entry form are strictly for identification purposes, and to help with hanging the quilts in the most pleasing order (no clashing colors or styles next to one another). The detail photo can be sent between the time of entry and the time of shipping the quilt to the show - it is still used only for identifying an orphan quilt that can't otherwise be identified.

Beautiful, Heidi! One factor - have you used any variegated thread? That would throw the quilt into "Innovative Custom." If you're not sure about the CCs, e-mail Bonnie Bosma or Linda Hamson - I'm sure they could tell you whether that would throw the quilt out of "Traditional Custom."

Hummm.... You all have got me thinking.... Do you have to be going to the show to enter a quilt in it? And , am I able to enter someone elses quilt that I have done the quilting on? Or do I have to have made the whole quilt (pieced and quilted?) Heidi, I'm thinking of Mary's quilts! I would love for lots of people to see them!! But I know NOTHING of entering quilts in any show except our little town one!

Originally posted by lindasewsit

Hummm.... You all have got me thinking.... Do you have to be going to the show to enter a quilt in it? And , am I able to enter someone elses quilt that I have done the quilting on? Or do I have to have made the whole quilt (pieced and quilted?) Heidi, I'm thinking of Mary's quilts! I would love for lots of people to see them!! But I know NOTHING of entering quilts in any show except our little town one!

Linda you should absolutely enter Mary's quilts and yes you can. There is a place to note the piecer and the quilter!!!! No you don't have to be going to the show to enter it. I'm not going to MQS.

Originally posted by sewlinzi

Fabulous, Heidi! Traditional custom?... is there a rule about using cc's? It is a traditionally pieced quilt and no outrageous modern thread...

Linzi,

These are the descriptions. I think it is definitely a traditional but the working in the innovative category has me questioning that.

TRADITIONAL CUSTOM: The imitation of customary quilting as produced by our ancestors. Techniques may include stitch in the ditch; block motifs, feather work, coordinating border design, and background fillers that enhance texture or create a traditional appearance such as meandering, cross hatching, echo quilting, grids, straight lines, etc. The use of specialty threads such as metallic, variegated, shiny, or high contrast threads are not permitted. All quilting threads used must be a matching or blending color. Quilt must fit the perimeter of no less than 240" and no more than 480" and must be a quilt of 3 layers-top, batting, and backing.

INNOVATIVE CUSTOM: Out of the ordinary quilting techniques are encouraged. Block motifs and coordinating border designs should be of an unusual design. Modern quilting techniques such as continuous curves, wavy lines, and new outline stitching may be used. The use of specialty threads such as metallic, variegated, rayon, shiny polyesters, etc. are encouraged. Quilt must fit the perimeter of no less than 240" and no more than 480" and must be a quilt of 3 layers-top, batting, and backing.

Originally posted by barbm

I'm sooo confused!! .....it does not have to be quilted when you enter it

Barb, I think this means when you submit your entry form (and photo) by the entry deadline that it does not have to be completely finished... they just want to make sure you will have it finished (quilted, binding, etc) by the time you ship it in a box to the show.

I emailed Bonnie Bosma. She said the quilt does not have to be started. They just need a picture of what you are going to do for identification purposes. In case they get an orphan with no name on it. Although, I was disappointed that the Theme quilts had to be at least 240" in perimeter. That would make my gal bigger than life size!!!:o:o:o She's one BIG senorita!!

Barb,

I didn't mind the form but limiting it to 35 words was really hard! I also had to do it twice because the first time it timed out. That was a royal pain in the butt! I'm just glad I got it in. My MIL broke her arm a few nights ago and I've been running like a crazy lady. I even had things cooking by 8 am for dinners! Today I went up and did all her cleaning for her. Mine can wait!

I have a theme quilt which is completed and partially quilted. I just couldn't make myself enter it yesterday. I'm sure it ranks high in orginality but i just don't have the heart for judging. I worked on the quilting today because I need that set of zippers back. No regrets except that it doesn't have much use. Maybe for a geography class unit, or my dogs can sleep on it. If I chicken out again, it certainly won't be in the theme category, if you know what I mean.

Archived