STENCIL THROWDOWN

Mary Beth,

How to use stencils is something I teach at many shows and is the subject of my next book. If anyone would like their quilts to be in the book after the throwdown, I would be interested. This is a great idea. I have one stencil that I show in the lecture that I can get 60 other designs from without adding any free motion. I would also contribute to the prize pool.

Time is a factor for me also but you would think that if Heidi could get one done we all could.

DeLoa

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is a second post, I am sorry but I am trying to get the nack of this. I teach a lecture on using stencils and in the lecture I have one stencil that I get 60 different designs from. It is a fun game to see what you can do. The next book I am planning is about using stencils and if anyone would like me to put their quilts in the book I would be interested. Time is a factor for me also but maybe if Heidi can get one done I can. I would also like to donate to the prize pool

DeLoa

Deloa,

Thank you so much for offering to donate to the prize pool, and for the offer to add some of the quilts to the upcoming book! That would be awesome!! Sylvia mentioned your class to me, and I thought that sounded like a great idea to only use one stencil....makes us crack open the creative side of our brain that sometimes goes stagnant using the same designs over and over. Can't wait to see your new book.

• 1 month later...

Tammie....I don't :P:D I love stencils...but have decided since I am the organizer I won't be entering. I will just have a file of inspiration to use when this is all over ;)

Yes, go to my stencil blog, that is where you will find the information on the throwdown. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to post them. If you have questions, others may too, and this could answer their questions as well.

One of my stencil companies....not really mine, I don't own a stencil company....is having a sale. I will get the email from my other computer and post it here.

I don't know what the stencil is you are wanting to use, but I can tell you what is not allowed, maybe that is easier....If you have a stencil sheet with a block, a corner and a border....don't use it. If you have a stencil that is one design like a block stencil...use that one. Take that stencil and use your creativity to use it in the blocks, and figure out how to also use part of it in a border. Repeat that small area of that block stencil in the border. Be very selective when choosing your stencil. Look at it, and "see" the design possiblities. I know you guys can do this. It may stretch some of you, but when you realize what kind of talent you have - you may just surprise yourself. I just don't want us to get in a rut of using pantos all the time or the same old edge to edge. Push yourselves.

So, Heidi, what is the design....is it something we could see a picture of?? or you could send it to me vie email if you are feeling very competitive :)

Guest Linda S

This sounds like a lot of fun. I use stencils a LOT, so I won't enter, since it's the type of thing I always do. Can't wait to see what you all come up with.

Originally posted by Mary Beth

So, Heidi, what is the design....is it something we could see a picture of?? or you could send it to me vie email if you are feeling very competitive :)

So you think I've already got one picked out? Hahahahaha...just want to know what my option is before I start picking through my stencils! I'm really trying hard to stay away from stencil companies and use what I have. I am addicted to stencils! I'm thinking that while I'm required to stay in bed for 2 days it might give me something to think about!

Originally posted by Linda S

This sounds like a lot of fun. I use stencils a LOT, so I won't enter, since it's the type of thing I always do. Can't wait to see what you all come up with.

Join in Linda....it's okay if you are experienced with stencils...I'm sure everyone would like to see how you quilt them up....really good for newbies.

Originally posted by Linda S

Linda Please Play with Us! I am a NEWBIE with stencils so I think this will be an interesting challenge for me. I will learn a lot! And, I will learn from YOU, too!! :)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

I am a NEWBIE with stencils so I think this will be an interesting challenge for me. I will learn a lot! And, I will learn from YOU, too!! :)

See....Now that's what I'm talkin about!!! I'm glad you are joining the fun Shana....you will love stencils!

Archived