STENCIL THROWDOWN

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Sylvia,

Mini-tutorial on stencil making.

Draw a lovely continuous-line design. Darken with a Sharpie.

Iron two pieces of freezer paper together--larger than your design.

Scotch tape the design to one side of the freezer paper.

With your largest (unthreaded) needle and your DSM set at a short stitch length, stitch around the design.

Remove the paper design and admire your new custom stencil.

Use a foam brush to push regular pounce chalk or Miracle chalk through the holes.

Use painter's tape on the edges to extend the life of your stencil. It will last through several quilts.

Sylvia, you did read right! You need to have a $20 order for them to reduce the shipping charge.

Linda, great instructions on stencil making...sounds painless :D

Kay is the stencil making queen around here. She has taught classes at our MO-KAN meetings and totally inspired me to look for quilting designs in strange places and copy designs for stencils.

I have purchased books from Dover Publications. If you sign up for thier weekly newsletter, there is a link where you can click on the books on sale. When you click on the book, there are pages that you can save to your files. Everything from Dover is copywrite free.....This is a great source if you want to make your own stencils.

I'm in, Mary Beth. But am clueless about stencils. Hoping to get some tips, from those with more experience.

eg.... once the design is marked on the quilt, is it like using a panto. Do you follow the markings, going slow, or smoothly trying to hit a mark - clear as mud???? Is the design marked on the quilt top, prior to loading? What do you use to keep the markings from rubbing off?

This doesn't sound too easy (spoiled by Circle Lord).

I am willing to give it an "imperfect" try!!! :D

Gosh Joann...I had not thought of Pam Clarke's stencils. Let's see....Pam Clarke's stencils are mostly for reference. Let's not count her stencils. Maybe in another challenge we will try Pam's stencils, but for now, let's use the regular stencils.

I can give some directions, I am sure other people who have worked with stencils and pop in here and help.

I mark as I go. I select a stencil that I think would complement the quilt top. I use Miracle Chalk with a pounce pad (many others use the foam paint brush). I lay the stencil on the area I want to mark, pull my machine ove so that the base plate is under the area I am marking, then wipe the pounce pad over the stencil. Sometimes, with the pounce pad you will need to wipe a few times. Get enough chalk on the deisgn so that when you take the stencil away the chalk remains. If you are using regular pounce chalk, you will need to spritz the fabric with a light spray of water or something to make the chalk stick. I never use regular chalk because I am heavy handed with the water and I make a chalky nasty mess! :D I love Miracle Chalk. You can also use the blue, water soluable pen, or the purple, Marvey air erase marker for marking. Then stitch the design being careful to follow the lines. If you have a continuous curve stencil you will learn that that is the only way to go. You can use a ruler to help you stay on the line. Once you get the hang of the movement, with some stencils you can just stitch it out without the help of a ruler.

Joann, this challenge is more to challenge yourself. You have me thinking about prize catagories....I want you all to see how easy stencils are to use; how great they can look on your quilt; and how beautiful your quilt will look when you add your special touch after you stencil. Most of all I want you to see what YOU can do!!

Don't wait until July to quilt, you can start now. When you are finished with your quilt take pictures and email them to me. I will post them on the blog for everyone to see. If you all wait until July, it may take me until Christmas to get them all posted to the blog :D

Archived