STENCIL THROWDOWN

Welcome to the Stencil Throwdown.

This “throwdown” should be a great learning experience for all of us, and designed to challenge us beyond our comfort zone. If you have never used a stencil, the throwdown is for you! As a professional machine quilter, you need to know how to use all the tools of the trade. This is your opportunity to show yourself what you can do! And share it with us.

Think of this throwdown as a learning experience.

….here is the lowdown….

1.You may use the stencil of your choice. Premade or homemade.

2. You must use only one stencil.

3. You may use the stencil as many times on your quilt as you would like.

4. You must get as many design elements from this one stencil as you possibly can.

5. When posting the pictures of your entry, you will need to include the following information:

6. A picture of the stencil along with the name of the stencil, the size, and where you purchased it. If you made the stencil, tell us how you made it; how or where you came up with the design. If this is a “designer” stencil, we need the name, ie Judy Allen, Pepper Cory, Barbara Chainey, etc.

7. More than one picture of your quilt. Suggestion,

Overall

Blocks

Borders

8. Tell us how you marked the quilt. Here are a few examples:

Brand of marking pen

Pounce pad

Sponge paint applicator

Miracle Chalk

Regular Chalk

Blacklight Chalk

Blacklight pencil

9. Who does the quilt belong to? You or a customer.

10. Quilt measurements.

11. How long did it take you to quilt the quilt?

12. Explain in detail your choice of quilting elements.

Why did you choose this stencil?

How many different ways were you able to use the same stencil.

What other design elements did you add? Examples,

Stipple

Crosshatch

McTavishing

Piano key

The deadline for quilt entries will be August 1, 2010.

There will be two catagories

Bed quilts

Wall quilts

Prizes will be awarded. Now, the prizes may not be like a new car, but more like a quilting gadget or goodie. Not a huge gift, because after all….it may only be coming from me. However, you will have a file of wonderful quilting designs, ideas, and inspiration to help you in your own quilting.

If you would like to contact me with questions, problems, concerns, etc. you may send a U2U, or contact me at mary.atchison1@gmail.com. If you click the email button under my signature I will not be able to respond until the evenings during the week.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I thought of this question during the process. I would say, select one motif and use your imagination. In thinking about that....there is a way to use one motif in a block or repeated, in a line, in a border. So, only one part of a stencil set. You can decide if you want to use the border design and take one part of that design and place it on a block. Or take a block pattern and use it or part of it to create the border design.

Joyce, I would be happy to have you!! I will teach you all I know...so that shouldn't take long :P

Heidi, see, now it is really a challenge ;):D:P I know, I have just ordered some great stencils with several motifs on one sheet that work together. Very cool....but for you and some others, this wouldn't be a challenge. I thought about allowing that, but then that wouldn't be fair to those who don't use stencils. So there ya go!! I have total faith in you to do very well with this challenge.

I really appreciate all the offers for prizes. In an effort not to become bombarded with tons of prizes, how about if you all email me with your ideas. We will take it from there. My email is maryquilts@kc.rr.com. Thank you all so much for your generous offers....you guys are the best!! And this is going to be so much fun!

Originally posted by LFarnham

Count me In!!!!

Stencil already picked and plan already done!

Just need to find the time to quilt it out!!!;):D:):D;)

Thanks for the Challenge, I needed this!! Gives me a deadline!!!

The only time I can get anything done!!!

Laura

Laura my dear, you are wayyyy 2 orgonized girlfriend! DANG!

It would take me several days to decide which stencil, let alone plan it out!

Yeah....i'm jealous!

Hey Sherri~

Not organized, Actually have been wanteing to do this for quiite sometime,

Just never have gotten around to doing it.

You know how it its, you never can find time to do things for yourself.

Mary Beth's challenge gives me a deadline, so now I can put it into my schedule.

Sounds crazy I know, but now it's not just "something I want to try out someday",

It's "something I have a deadline to finish".

It's nothing fancy, just fun.

Laura

Entering more than one quilt is fine, one in each catagory. This is about taking 1 stencil, placing it on a quilt in blocks, in borders, in sashings and adding some freehand background stitching to make your quilt shine. I don't want you to look at this like a marathon to see how many quilts you can turn in, I want you too look at a quilt and see how beautiful this quilt can be....

Here is a blog posting that I would like for you to see.....

This is from one of my favorie quilters, many of you probably follow her blog, Carla Barrett....

http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/2010/03/17/barbara-chainey-stencils/

I hope this inspires you like it did me.

Some sources for stencils for those of you who don't own any...

http://www.fulllinestencil.com/index.html

http://www.quiltingcreations.com/

http://www.stensource.com/cat_stencil_index.php?l1index=quilting%20stencils

http://www.goldenthreads.com/

http://www.jdstencils.com/index.html

You can also get stencils locally at Hobby Lobby and JoAnn's.

I'm sure there are more, just google quilting stencils

Archived