Econozoid vs. Quiltazoid ?

GrandmaLKB

Linda,

If all you are looking to do is templates and circles then the Econozoid would be a great deal (I'm shocked at the low price)! I have both but I was skeptical at how much I would use the spirograph tool. The more that I try the more I realize it is an invaluable tool! You can make so many designs using it and so quick. Some think that the spirograph only looks like those spirograph designs that we did as kids but really there are so many more design options. You can make them look like Ribbon designs or even celtic designs. I have a design that I did on my show quilt that I can't show yet but I'll post a picture of it on April 14th but I think lots of people will be surprised that I used the spirograph attachment to do it. The only hint I can give is that it looks more like a pieced block! I do know that you would have to do a trade in if you go with the econozoid and then later decide to add the spirograph unit. The base is very different on the econozoid model. IF you are only looking to do templates and cirlcles then I'd say you are getting a steal of a deal!

Oh yes, I have been researching both the Circle Lord and the Quiltazoid. I have DVDs coming on both of them. I like the fact that the Quiltazoid comes from Iowa - I live in Iowa. So that is a plus in their favor. I don't want to do work from the back of the machine, so their Quiltazoid seems to win points for their front use model as well. They both look really easy to use and I've read that the templates from one will fit on the other. ?? To use the Circle Lord on the front, it looks like it needs some additional parts. They show a piece of cardboard taped on there. Not sure I like that for what they cost. They could come up with a better plan than that, I think.

Thanks for all your input. I may be asking a lot more questions!

I love my Quiltazoid. I did an entire quilt with it...Baptist fans, and fancy scalloped border with beadboard, all done on the QZ except for some small feathers. It works very easily from the front of the machine. All it takes is 2 screws to attach the bracket to the machine. Easy! Like you, I was unsure of whether to get the Econozoid or the Quiltazoid. The ability to do nested designs that look like Celtic knots was what swayed my decision to the QZ with spiro. As you can see by the forum, Linda and Adam continue to develop with new designs both in pattern boards and tracing templates. I think CL tracing templates are adaptable to the QZ, but haven't tried that. I am sure you would be happy with QZ, and I believe Circle Lord is a quality product as well.

What can you do with the Econozoid alone? Does it have the ability to make different size circles and do baptist fans, for instance, without purchasing templates? I'm considering the front mount model, especially since I have several EZ templates and like the idea that I can use them with this system. It appears that all I would need to buy to do continuous templates on the back of the machine is a rear stylus -- is this correct?

From what I have read on their website, the Econozoid can do everything the Quiltazoid does except the Spiral designs. It also says that you do not have to own either one to use the templates at the back. Just need the stylus tool and the pattern boards. I am anxious to get the DVD and hope it shows more than the short clips that are online.

Hi everyone-I haven't been on for awhile-but I felt I needed to write to the forum and let everyone know that Kristina (sagebrush quilter) or frogger has a young son that is very ill. They took him to Salt Lake City tonight by Life Flight. I went out to the hospital to see her and of course she was upset , but the pilot was going to let her fly with him and her husband and children will go tomorrow. He is being diagnosed as a diabetic and looks pretty bad. This has come on in just the last week. Kristina and I live in the same town and it is very small and 254 miles from any major city. Her son and family need your thoughts and prayers and if she is not on the forum for awhile all of you will know why. She enjoys this forum so much and she is one sweet, precious person to know and has 7 wonderful children. If I had a daughter I would want her to be like Kristina, but all I have is 3 great sons. Please keep her in your prayers. thanks so much and I too have learn alot from just reading all the stuff on the forum, even if I don't write on it to much. Thanks for having this wonderful site.

Everytime I use my Quiltazoid, I fall more in love with it . I adore the new templates that Linda and Adam are designing.

I use my Circle lord templates on my QZ too. (AZTEC, and GINKO). They work just the same as on the CL, just reversed . Instead of stepping the template, you rotate the base of the QZ. Very easy !!!.

I love the spirograph too, so simple, choose your gear and just turn the handle and the design sews out in one motion.

Originally posted by marycontrary

What can you do with the Econozoid alone? Does it have the ability to make different size circles and do baptist fans, for instance, without purchasing templates? I'm considering the front mount model, especially since I have several EZ templates and like the idea that I can use them with this system. It appears that all I would need to buy to do continuous templates on the back of the machine is a rear stylus -- is this correct?

Yes the Ecconozoid will do circles different size circles, baptist fans, ecentric circles and any of the templates. You can adapt other boards to fit. It will not work with the longer boards on the front but hopefully that will be coming. You can buy a separate attachment so that you can use the same stylus from the back as well for the long boards. It is very good value for your money in my opinion. What I love most about it is that the system is very well built and very sturdy.

The more I look, the more confused I become. If I just look at price alone (that's important to me!), it appears the CL may be the better buy -- basic system and spiro for $499 vs $700 for the QZ. Even if I bought the Econozoid and later upgraded, the total outlay is $200 more. I think I like the QZ better, but got to wonder if I'm missing something here in the cost comparison. Help!

Mary,

You have to consider what comes with the system and what additional templates you would have to purchase. With the spirograph alone you get more than 600 designs!!!! Really with all the options of changing the gears and making your own nested designs it goes into infinity. I promise you the QZ is a very good deal and well worth the investment. YOu also need to look at how the systems operate. With the sprio thingy you have to step the design for each section, much like you do with a template. With the spirograph on the Quiltazoid you just load the gear and then stitch the entire design in one step.

Yippee.............my hubby told me today that I could order the Econozoid/Quiltazoid whenever I was ready........Hummmm???? Wonder what HE wants ??? Can't wait until I get more time to actually play with Milli and whatever toys I get to go with her. :P

Archived