Ergonomic Height of Machine

After Shana's topic, I knew I had read something . Well here it is.

Copied from a Yahoo Machine quilting group

" I engaged the services of an occupational therapist to assess the ergonomics of all the duties associated with my business.

It was really interesting that even though the OT and I were exactly the same height (about 5'2"), my hips were lower than hers, and consequently the quilting table needed to be lower for me. Now, at 5'2" I do not consider myself vertically challanged - so imagine my complete frustration and anger when the OT established that even at its lowest point possible - my quilting table is about 3 inches too high for correct quilting posture!!!!! - I have spent several

years bending from the sacral/lumbar region instead of the hips.

The OT also observed that for correct wrist movement (ie, wrists parallel to the quilt), I had to hunch my shoulders - thus, I have also spent 4 years putting stress on the thorasic joints. "

It may be a belly/booby bar - but the real height should be dependent on your bent arm height.

Wrists and forearms should be parallel to the quilt surface. This then makes you bend from the hips and is better for your back.

Lyn

Hi Lynn,

Interesting subject---

In general where exactly did she think the belly bar or front bar should be in relationship to a persons body?

I'm not sure I've ever had this correct.

I find if I put the frame down, and my arms are parallel to the handles then I'm strain my neck by bending my head down to see the needle---I guess having two out of three correct would be better. I also wear progress lenses.

Thank you for any info. :)

Angie,

It sounds like the position of the belly bar in relationship to your body varies. That is, it's the position of your arms that matters. It would be different for someone with a long torso than someone with a short torso. I'm pretty sure my table is too high but I can't lower it much more. If I was quilting 8 hours a day everyday, I would probably try to figure out something but since I quilt mostly for myself it's not been much of a problem. Maybe I should try quilting in 3 inch heels. . . . NOT!:P

This is why the Hydraulic Lift is so important! I know it seems like a lot of money to put out, BUT the rewards in painless quilting far outweigh the cash outlay, IMHO.

I know there are many who need the table lower than the hydraulic lift will take it, and those people need to build some kind of platform to raise them up a bit. When you're working from the back of the machine, the table should ideally be at a different height than when working from the front. Just look at the difference in height of the back and front handles and you can see why the H/Lift is so important.

Our bodies matter, and they don't last forever.

Originally posted by Hollyrw

Angie,

It sounds like the position of the belly bar in relationship to your body varies. That is, it's the position of your arms that matters. It would be different for someone with a long torso than someone with a short torso. I'm pretty sure my table is too high but I can't lower it much more. If I was quilting 8 hours a day everyday, I would probably try to figure out something but since I quilt mostly for myself it's not been much of a problem. Maybe I should try quilting in 3 inch heels. . . . NOT!:P

I have to !!!!:)

No joke!:D:D:D

I took in some very comfortable shoes and had a platform built on them. I free hand quilt at about 3-4 inches taller than I am. The shoe guy thought I was crazy, but it is much better.

When I use the compuquilter I can use my normal shoes.

It does make a difference.

Though my husband thought when I said "I am going to quilt in stileto's that it was going to be a whole different outfit". He was sorta sad!

I do think that the machines should also take into consideration the huge number of us short people and make the lift system to accomodate a shorter person too. I can understand having the standard table on height, but if they sell a lift system it should be adjusted at the legs to go both ways.

I have thought about having the legs shortened, but I am afraid of re-sale??

Brendalee

Guest Linda S

Yes - nothing like hydraulics. I've had four vertebrae fused together, so I need to adjust every now and then to make myself comfortable. I generally quilt with the machine slightly lower than my boobs (and they're low! ;) ), but I do mostly custom, so I like the machine up where I can really see what I'm doing. If I were freehanding, I'd probably want it lower.

Linda

Hello, There IS one thing we shorties can do, and it's NOT build a platform to trip over and fall down from... I'm sure I'd do just that.

I have Lenni Penny. She was about 3-4"too high. We took the table apart, clearly marked 11 inches up from the bottom of the leg tube. He then took them to a welder, who agreed to cut them off, shorten the rod, weld them back together. He even neatly sanded areas he'd worked on and painted them black to match the rest of the frame. I've not regreted one minute that I had that done. I use to be 5' 4", but have shrunk 2 inches. Wish I knew where.. Oh! I guess he didn't mean around.. ROFL.. wink :P;):D:P:P

RitaR

Archived