NQR ? for pet owners

uncquilter

i use K9 advantage....i really like it. i get it from petmed.com and they put it on sale towards the end of summer...i buy a supply then (i have big dogs- a 2dose package -one month supply for the puppies- is $70 from my vet) petmed.com has a 4 dose pack (two months) for $60....that's a savings of $30/month

i know it's a chunk of money- but i think of it this way- heartworm treatment is $3000 and most dogs won't survive the treatment, so $70 every two months is worth it.

at least that's the way i feel about it

I'm using Interceptor and this summer I am using Adams Flea and Tick that I bought at Sam's Club. We haven't had any problems with fleas or ticks and we live in the woods.

We had big dogs in the past and for heartworm we used Ivomec which contains Ivermectin, one of the main active ingredienst in heartworm medicine. We learned about Ivermec from a man who had a kennel, and he used it on his hunting dogs and beagles.

I don't use Ivomec now because it is used in a small dose and for a small dog it would be easy to administer too much. It is available from farm and ranch stores and a bottle costs about $50. One bottle lasted more than two years for our three dogs, one 45#, one 55# and one 85#. It is given orally with a syringe that has the needle removed (must be extracted from the bottle with a syringe.) It can't be given to all breeds of dogs, and I think herding breeds such as Border Collies, are one that can't tolerate the medication.

If you do some research and talk to your vet you may find Ivomec is a reasonably priced solution to heartworm prevention. We used it safely for about 10 years.

Thanks everyone. I will look into your suggestions and see if they are less expensive then my current product. Shana you are too funny! I absolutely have to use something because I live in thegodforsakenmiddleoftheswampflorida! South Florida that is. Plenty of fleas ticks and mosquitos year round. No cold weather to kill those things off.

Carol

Archived