I just have to vent!!!

Primitive1

Work'in on Labor Day eh? Me too!

Hey Vickie, you take them in cause you know your good and who else would do it!

I've always been one to encourage first time quilters and others, as many are scared to death of presenting their first to us "professionals". So as part of the job I always try and be extremely courteous and encouraging cause I want more of their business, but I do show them what it entails to quilt such a Bag, as I call them--gentleman you know--LOL without calling or using any of our slang. Sometimes I get Jane involved as she's the expert piecer and knows how to square etc. Sometimes this generates class $ which help too! It's all part of the business.

Some have been going to those internet mills and getting a $50.00 quilt job and are coming to you looking for something better, and subconsciously wondering, " why does my quilt look like it should be on a toilet paper dispenser. We can take it from there to our way of caring and love of quilting!

Then there are the ones who just keep on not getting better!! Now it's time to vent here with your peers who have been there, done that!! Am I venting now?--LOL--Dave B

You have a great day, thank God they don't make a triple G, 0r H, do they??

You also take them in because off the frame they don't look as terrible as they do when they are on the frame. I just finished a pretty start quilt pattern that was a really cool design but unbelieveably pieced. I took tucks and made puckers and everything else that I could. If you stand about 1/4 mile away, it looks terrific. I also wondered why I agreed to do it.

The customer knows that it is not flat, even admitted that she really had to tug and stretch that fabric to make it meet! (If that isn't a red flag I don't know what is!) It actually looks like a ruffled curtain but she said she did not mind if I quilted pleats and tucks into it, so that lets me off the hook, but my type A personality is still cringing as it is not the kind of work I want anyone else to see if she were to show it off and tell her guild who quilted it. Even funnier, I got a call from one of her friends who is bringing over two quilts to me tomarrow, I am just hoping they are flatter, what am I thinking?

I'm too kind to little old ladies!!!

Oh Vicki, I feel for you

Sure had a good laugh at the above comments....Just think of it this way...they take them to you because you are a pro and do a good job!! I have never quilted for customers yet but I can appreciate where you are coming from from my previous business as a dressmaker. Those little old ladies will get to you everytime:D:D;)

Tomorrow is another day,

Marlene

Starry Night Quilter

Vicki, I know why you continue to take these kinds of quilts in..... because they are from little old ladies. I know. I do the same thing. They are precious and they work so hard on them and you know that their quilt just may be an heirloom for a family member some day. Keep taking them in and doing your best. And from now on I am going to think of them as topographical quilts.....thanks Dave, I love that term.

Jess

:D:D:D Thanks for the laugh,

I tried to use a really large panto but too many tucks for me to let it go, so I am going to spend even more time picking out the two rows of the large panto, add another layer of batting and just do a large meander so I can control the tucks....and call it a day!

Vicki,

That's a challenge, for sure! Here are a couple of tricks that can also tame the large cup sizes:

* use spray baste on the exposed batting that will fall directly behind the poofy areas. When the quilt advances, manipulate the top fabric over the tacky batting and press it firmly to hold it in place as you quilt.

* try water-soluble thread in the top and bottom, (loose, loose loose tension) and heavily quilt the nasty areas with dense meandering (use your hands to guide the fabric). Switch to regular thread (reset the tension) and quilt right over the pre-quilted areas with your panto or design.

The quilt will need to be soaked afterward to remove the water soluble thread, but it saves on stress:)!

If you have time during intake, lay out the top, show the customer the problem boobie-areas, and ask THEM which "cure" they prefer.

Pin in some tucks to show them where the pieced areas will be distorted so they will lie flat for stitching. Or do some random pleats and pin down to show them why these boobalacious tops are so difficult to make look pretty.

Be gentle and show that quilting is a collaboration and you and she together can reach a solution to the problem. That way when they pick up the quilt, and rave over how beautiful it is, they can realize why you charged them extra!!:P:P;)

Thanks Linda,

I did show the newest customer how much "fullness" her piecing had and then on the frame how much extra has to be stitched down. She understood but I think they still think we can "quilt it out"! These are the quilts I won't be putting on my flkr acct for people to see...funny how this same group of ladies all come from the same guild and group of friends...but they try hard - bless their hearts!

Archived