Entering A Quilt in Competition -- What to Know

I was thinking while it's fresh in everyone's mind, that we could start a new topic about entering quilts in competitions.

I've only entered one, and that was just in my local guild challenge. So I have no clue about entering in real shows. And I'm sure other's would like to know too.

So, do you first make a quilt, then look for a place to enter it. Or do you make a quilt based on specific guidelines for a specific show.

Then, what should we do or not do when making or quilting the top.

Thanks for any help. I am finally getting interested in entering something, but I'm sure I'll have to learn a lot by trial and error.

Also, how to keep up with shows -- when and where they are.

Georgene, there is a site that tells you what judges look for, and mark you down on, or give better marks for. One of the first things they check, or so I'm told, is the binding, if it isn't pulled around so the outer most part is full they mark you down. If binding corners are not hand stitched down on both sides of the quilt, they mark you down. Sashings and borders don't lay flat, no gathers, no stretching, corners don't lay straight across the quilt.. all kinds of things like that.. choice of color combo.. too dark, too pale, etc..

I guess that would be too boring to look at.

Anyway, I don't have the link, and should have it.. but you can google, "Quilt Judge Rules." or Certified Quilt Judges Training... they will give you loads of ideas. I picke out the ones I was guilty of, and a few I'd not heard of to start me off.

I'm sure others will pop in with more and much better ideas.. Good Luck.

Georgene,

I can tell you that when I make a quilt I make it for me first or whomever it is intended and then if I think it is good enough I'll enter it into competition. I was very reluctant at first but thought, hey what to I have to lose except some postage :P:P:P. I quilt the same way whether it is for show or not so I can't say I quilt differently for a show. Just enjoy having your quilts entered and seeing the judges comments will give you a lot of insight. I've learned to also take the judges comments with a grain of salt. On the quilt that just won BOS one judge told me there was too much contrast. You just never know what they will comment on. I try to concentrate on the comments about piecing, binding and quilting. If I can improve all the better.

What a great topic, whether or not we plan to enter a quilt to be judged in a show. We had a quilt judge speak to our guild on what they looked for, and that was quite informational. I like Heidi's comment about taking the comments with a grain of salt and just see how you can improve by the comments.

Sharon Roos

www.roseofsharonquilting.com

One thing that always sticks in my mind from bring in the judges room the first year MQS was in KC, MO was that they looking for was that the straight lines in the piecing were straight lines on the finishd quilt. In other words straight lines that should be straight remained straight. Also tension issues, and evenness of the overall quilting density. Bindings that were full of backing and not empty and put on correctly. Quilting that fit the criteria of the entry-- don't say traditional when you have contemporary quilting even though the piecing might me 30s or whatever.

Read the rules and enter accordingly, amazing how many beautiful quilts are rejected because they are entered in the incorrect category and simply don't conform to the rules. I've seen judges be upset because the category didn't fit on an awesome quilt.

Hi Georgene:

You've received some good advice so far. Since I have been fairly successful in our large Guild show over the past several years and have managed to get some quilts accepted into the Houston show and published as well, here is my advice: make the quilts you love...that's purer motivation than making quilts to try to earn a ribbon. Use your very best skills in every aspect of construction from design to patchwork or applique to quilting and finishing. Most of the larger shows have many categories and are very clear on their rules for entry. Some are more oriented toward quilting, or traditional quilts, or art quilts. You'll find the niche where your quilts belong.

I'm not a judge but I've volunteered for the judging at our show the past 5 or 6 years and to help our Guild members make more competitive quilts, I've been writing a monthly column on this subject. For more detail on what the judges are looking for, I invite you to visit the Tucson Quilters Guild website. On the home page (which anyone can visit), scroll down below the photo of the 2011 raffle quilt Desert Rose. Between the next two brackets you'll see a heading "2011 Quilt Fiesta Entry and Judging Process for Show Quilts". You can click on the months listed below that heading for more information...the July and August installments might provide some of the general answers you're looking for.

As for where to find a listing of the shows, there is usually one published in each issue of Quilters Newsletter magazine. Individual show websites can be helpful too (or not...sometimes the show entry information is hard to find). Best of luck to you! Hope to be seeing your quilts in competition soon, Nancy in Tucson

Hi Georgene! :)

I am so excited to see you and others interested in entering quilt shows. I have only entered into shows during my rookie year and I learned so much in the process.

You have received great advice written above. I agree 100% that you create a quilt what YOU love and enjoy making. And during the process, you will get ideas to go beyond your imagination. This is where you start to have fun. Don't be afraid to step oiut of your comfort zone. Try to do something unique, different. If you want to make a quilt for competition, think of things that will catch the judge's attention. It could be anything.

When I was helping in the juding room at MQS as a scribe a couple of years ago, I was talking with the judges. Both of them said there are no rules as far as creativity or technique is concerend, or how you came to the finished product. No rules there. The only important thing is that what you did is done well. They don't care how you got there. Just do it and do it as best as you can. Make it stand out. Make it something interesting. Have fun. And when all is said and done, you get your judge critique back and you learn from it. Remember the judges are quilters, too, so they are not in the business to hurt you; only encourage you. So take the critique in a positive manner. Don't be afraid of the judging. it's there to help you improve. And remember that putting your quilt in a show is a lot like rolling the dice. Depending on the other quilts in the category, your quilt will be judged differently in each show so sometimes you'll get a ribbon and sometimes you won't. It's OK it is only a quilt show and it does not define you. :) Just go with the attitude that it's all for the greater good of the quilting industry. I know some people are terrified to enter a quilt in a show. I will tell you that we all need to support our quilty world by entering quilts in shows. It is what draws people to come to the quilt show. They like to see all of the quilts, not just the ones with ribbons on them. This is how I feel about it anyway. So you go girl!!! Have fun, stick your neck out; try a new thing; really go beyond the comfort zone. Really focus on something special. It's all good. :)

PS: When entering into different shows, all of them have different rules. Sometimes the rules change from year to year, so make sure your quilt fits the category you enter into. If you want to get a good idea of the categories, pull up MQX, MQS, HMQS and other web sites to read the categories and specifications for each category.

Originally posted by Quiltsinmotion

I also would like to hear from others who have entered in Judged shows . Have a couple of question to add .

Do you take your own photo of quilt or have it taken by a professional ?

Shipping to a quilt show do you roll on tube or fold up in a box ?

great topic hope to see a lot of post

Photos that you take yourself are fine in judged shows -- usually one of the full quilt and one closeup of the detail.

I've heard from shippers that it is best to ship in a normal box, so that it packs easier. A tube is hard for a carrier to handle and could flop around in the truck.

Georgene--I just recieved my quilt back from QWM--the first time I ever entered a show--and was it ever neat to read the judges comments--some I figured on--and others show me where I thought I did a good job--but not an excellent job.

Then it was quite a rush to see that Linda McCuen was the judge--too cool--then the compliments seem even more special!!!

I say go for it--not just to get a ribbon--but to get the knowledge of where we all need to improve.

Now to go order the photo cd--so I can see all the others that were there!!!

terri

I recently entered my first show and, although I didn't win any ribbons, it was a great experience. I even got a flash drive with the judge's voice judging my quilt. She was very positive and liked my color choices for fabric, quilting thread and design...she mentioned she was looking for balance in the quilting and felt I did that but( and here is the big BUT) I had some backtracking AND I had two blocks that I hadn't noticed that were not perfectly matched at the seams. She also said my binding was done correctly (filled the space) but that the stitching to hold down the binding should be closer together. Again, I felt like everything was very positive and I will definitely enter more shows now that I have a better feel for the procedure. I had made the quilt for my sister and entering the show was secondary...I didn't make the quilt for the show. Hope that gives a little more insight for entering a quilt in a show. I would recommend it!

Georgene - When I start a quilt, I try to quilt it as though I will enter into a competition. That keeps me focused on not taking any shortcuts (as sometimes when I feel lazy, I am tempted to do!). Inevitably, I continue to make mistakes, some I can fix and some that I must resign myself to live with. I have not yet been able to attend any of the shows that my quilt was accepted, but hopefully I will someday. It is just nice to get the letter in the mail that your quilt was accepted. The judges comments are welcomed, though not all shows give them to you. I take my own photos when I submit. Take some time to explain any special features that you did with the quilt on the entry form to help out the judges to quickly evaluate your submission. It is above all, fun and I hope that you follow through and enter. I have seen your quilts and they are truly beautful and deserve to be shown at a national quilt show for the general public to admire and enjoy!

Archived