New Silk Thread - Like?

I haven't tried it, but while I was at QwM there was some talk of it in a class I was in and, yes, there was a woman there that had tried it and liked it very much on her APQS. There was another woman who used a different machine and said she couldn't run it, and she also couldn't run bottom line on top either. Just thought I would pass on some hearsay for you to think about. I'd be interested to hear if you try it and what you think of it.

Interesting... How much is it??? and is it on a cone or what?? Have not heard of this new thread yet, but would love to have silk in a cone. I imagine it would cost a bunch $$$$$ but I do like the look of it.

I have no problem using Bottom Line on top and love it for doing tight tiny stuff and also for McTavishing, just need to know the "how" of using it. Loosen top tension... and such....

Hi.

The web site says a mini cone (1,010 yards or so) is $17.99 and yes, they recommend a 3.0 needle. I think our machines are fine without re-timing from 3.0 to 4.0 sized needles.

I guess it is best for micro work...and is hardly seen. Not sure I want those features. I like to see my efforts = the thread.

It is finer than Bottom Line! iId not think that was possible.

Good luck with it Sue...let us know how it goes.

Lisa

Hi Everyone,

Haven't had a chance to try the new silk thread either, but perhaps I can get a spool from the Superior booth at the AQS show being held in Des Moines this week and give it a try on the machines.

FYI, a 3.0 needle will leave too large a gap between your hook and the needle...you'll have all kinds of skipped stitches (especially with a 100 wt. silk thread!) because the hook won't be able to catch it.

A 3.5 needle would be a safer bet so you don't have to re-time. Remember, as long as your needle is sharp, and you aren't running both your top and bobbin tension really tight, those holes will close up again. :)

Thanks Dawn.

So, we can use 3.5 to ................ 4.0 or 4.5 with out re-timing?

I'm going to add this to my notes!

If it is as invisible as they say, it might be an awesome SID or applique outlining thread...for that something special type of quilt. Other wise, Mono, Bottom Line or SF would do just fine. Can you tell I talked myself out of it:):)!!

Thanks,

Lisa

Several of us with George machines are using 100 weight silk thread on our art quilts. It is wonderful for dense background fills when you want to see the texture and not the thread. It is helpful for designs that involve a lot of backstitching or re-traveling the same lines just like the Bottom Line or Decobob or any of the really thin threads. We've been using the silk thread from YLI which has been around awhile but it is hard to find at retail and the company is frustrating to deal with...always out of stock on something & sending incomplete or incorrect orders. But it is great thread. We've been waiting patiently for Superior to bring their 100 weight silk to market and so happy that it is now available in 80 pretty colors.

So far, only one of us has had an opportunity to machine test the thread (which comes on small spools or mini-cones) and she is having no trouble running it. It seems a bit thicker than the YLI thread of the same weight...both are about the diameter of monofilament which most of you run without issue.

The rule of thumb about needle size is to use the smallest needle that will do the job. When we use this thread on our DSM, we use a 60 or 70 needle (the thread is so skinny, it travels easily through tiny needles). In longarm speak, that would be the equivalent of a...I can't even imagine! If I'm correct, the 4.0 equates to a size 18 or 110 needle. The 3.0 needles recommended by Superior would still be a big needle on a DSM (size 14 or 90).

The holes are more evident with a larger needle because the skinny thread doesn't fill the holes. The 3 of us (that I know of) who are using this thread on our Georges have gradually tried smaller needles to see what our machines will tolerate without re-timing and we're now all using size 12 industrial needles with the silk. HOWEVER, WE WERE WARNED ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OF RETIMING IF WE USED NEEDLES MORE THAN ONE SIZE AWAY FROM THE SIZE OUR MACHINES WERE TIMED FOR which is 4.0). Dawn is the guru on this and if she says that the 3.5 holes will close up, I believe her. I wanted to use the smallest needle possible but I was not ready to learn how to time George :)

BTW, these fine silk threads are also excellent for hand applique so I'm going to give them a try for invisible machine applique. Hope others will share their experiences too. Nancy in Tucson

Many of the ladies in our hand applique group have been using the little spools of silk thread for some time now.... very fine and almost invisible when taking those oh so tiny stitches.

I do wonder how strong and durable it is in the long run??? any ideas there???

I have been using my "almost empty" prewound poly bobbins (by Coats) for my hand applique, since I have lots of colors and try to change out a bobbin if there isn't enough to finish a row or section.

Dawn - please let us know your findings and feelings about this thread after you give it a try.... Thanks in advance! :)

Hi Nancy & Judi.

Great info, thanks. I think the silk would hold up well...think of all the old crazy quilts embellished with silk thread or made with silk fabrics. Other than fading, they are still in good shape.

I agree, Superior always seems to recommend huge needles. Makes their thread easier to run.

Although I've decided to pass, I am eager to hear Dawn's experiences with it.

Mono is cheaper, one-color-fits-all (!) and a sure bet for me on my Liberty.

Lisa

• 3 weeks later...

I had been using YLI silk on my long arm. I am now a convert to Superiors Kimona silk. It is GREAT!!! I use it to micro stipple in the background. There are so many great colors to choose from. I am using the small cones. I have a milli and I use Schimetz needles NM 80 size 12 and have never had to retime my machine

Raquel Birch

APQS representative CA

Raquel and Angela - Thanks for the update / info.... was still waiting to see what Ms. Dawn C. found out, if she tried it or not. I will have to order some and give it a whirl! If nothing else I'm sure I could pass it along to some of the other hand appliquers in our group....

Guest Linda S

I've used the YLI silk also (I had two cones left after Ozzie chewed up one of the ones I bought), and it's a nice thread, but for the price, I think Bottom Line works well.

Here is a link to Linda Taylor's store for the best price I have found on YLI silk. I really like the YLI but cannot compare it to the Kimono silk as I have not yet tried it. I have a lot of Superior thread and prewounds and have been happy with all their products so far, but the price on the Kimono silk just does not compare to the price of the YLI silk at Linda Taylor's on the mini cones. The only negative is there is not nearly as large a selection. I think there is 13 colours and I know Superior carries a lot more.

Kimono silk $17.99

YLI silk $9.00

The pink is on sale this month for $8.10 for Breast cancer awarness

http://www.longarmsupplies.net/yli-silk.aspx

I also bought her zippers for my longarm. They are a fabulous price as well. $7.95 each

I love to pass on a deal :):)

Lisa :)

Are the YLI and the Kimono on the same size cone??? (Approx) That is a bit of a price difference.

I have always used the Bottom line as well for dense / heavy quilting. Works great, price is good..... nobody has asked me to use the silk yet - or even if I have it....hmmm.

The YLI and the Kimono silk are on the same size mini cones.

On my YLI it states 1000 meters which by my calculations is close to 1097 yards.

The Kimono silk is 1010 yards so they are pretty close to the same amout of yardage for a big price difference.

Obviously Linda does not carry anything close to the 80 colors that Superior carries in their Kimono silk.

I believe she has 13 colors of the YLI.

Hope that helps :)

Lisa :)

Archived