quilting batiks

Send it back!

Just kidding. I just finished a quilt with batik on top and backing. It was just a table topper and I still broke 3 needles (size 4)! I then switched to a 4.5 size needle and that helped, but I still bent one of them. I found I really had difficulty when trying to go slow over a seam/point. So I think running the stich length a bit shorter might help (11-13 stitches/inch).

BTW - I actually did send out an announcement to my quilting customers that I won't be accepting batiks as quilt backs anymore. It just isn't worth the risk to my machine. I was lucky I didn't mess up the timing on the machine with this one. This particular batik backing was very tightly woven.

Heidi, I've done some (not many) batiks before (top and bottom) and just like you, had no problems. The fabric did seem exceptionally stiff when I first touched it, so maybe it was the manufacturer. I think Linda's suggestion of requesting that it be pre-washed is a good idea, or maybe just a 'feel' test to see how stiff it was. Also, the piecer themselves may have contributed if the corners weren't ironed properly and very thick. I didn't check that...

Still, I have heard of other quilters who refuse batiks as quilt backs, so similar experiences must be happening.

You can tell your customers that there are wide batik backings (108") available from Hancock's and SewBatik -- and maybe other places too. These backings are beautiful batiks, but they are somewhat more loosely-woven than regular batiks, and most suitable for backings. Speaking from experience, I can say they won't give your machine any problems. My customers like them -- and they're cheaper too!

Barbara

I have used these 108 batik backings as well and had no problem at all with breaking or bending needles. And they look great, too.

Originally posted by Barbara Conquest

You can tell your customers that there are wide batik backings (108") available from Hancock's and SewBatik -- and maybe other places too. These backings are beautiful batiks, but they are somewhat more loosely-woven than regular batiks, and most suitable for backings. Speaking from experience, I can say they won't give your machine any problems. My customers like them -- and they're cheaper too!

Barbara

Monika, I may have... I do tend to stretch the quilt a bit (I think).

Penny - poor girl, you are just asking a simple question, but if I were to summarize what people are saying, just try a small needle first (3.5), and maybe keep quilt a bit looser on the frame. Move to a larger needle if needed. Also, if the batik on the back seems really stiff, use this as a warning sign. If it feels soft, then you probably won't have any problems and just do your quilting like you would as if it was a regular cotton back.

Would your customer consider swapping 100% cotton batting for something with some poly in it? A 70/30 would stand up to the stiffer batik fabric and help bury the stitches to avoid the faux pokies you get with a batik backer. (faux pokies= batting or thread that shows on the back caused by the unforgiving needle holes in batik fabric. Not really a pokie, just a show through from the stitching.) Cotton batting and batiks make for a flat, stiff-ish quilt.

Add me to the recommendation of a smaller needle and a looser top.

I do these all the time. Generally do change my needle twice on a large quilt. Also, I slow down just a bit and also don't use the fingernail test on the back as it will not feel right. Sometimes you can ge some pokies but I explain those and let it go. Just relax, loosen the top, and quilt in a zen mode....:P

I really don't remember for sure, but think I had a batik top, no idea now what the backing was.. I was having some tension problems with a 4.0 needle.. I also had to go pretty slow even with the SR on. My solution was to spray a couple foot square area with silicone spray, use more Sewers Aid on the thread and the guides,, NOT the TENSION Unit.. down to the needle. As long as I sprayed each area when I got to it.. it worked fine. Love that silicone.

This post is right on target for me. I just got one from a new customer, recommended by my LQS. It was from a class. Lap size. Lots of pieces on the top, and the backing is all the scraps pieced together...almost as many pieces as the top. NOT WASHED. The border on the backing is very stiff!

I guess I am in for a hard time. Oh, she sent QD white poly (quilt mostly shades of blue batiks - light to dark), and she asked me to order Rainbows for the top, but I can use SO Fine in the bobbin. I only had 350 cones of thread to choose from, but not the exactly perfect shade. Oh well, now I have two more cones.

I won't be loading it for a few more days, but I am now getting nervous. Previously I only did my own batik (2) quilts and I used backing from Sew Batik and it was great. THis customer's quilt will be a whole different story!

Archived