My biggest quit so far

I quilted this big baby last night,(til 3a.m.) it is one I made 11 years ago for my daughter Adrienne, she was 16 at the time,( keep that age in mind when you think about the colour choices). She is now 27, married with 3 boys & has a king size bed, so I had to inlarge it as much as possible. I added 9inchs of dark green fabic to each side, the corner blocks were planned for a pillow cover, so I already had those done. Total size is 94in by 84in, not quite big enough for a king bed but I plan to but a sleeve on it so she can hang if she wants. I had only been quilting for a year or two, so the borders were a bit wonky, I had a few pleats (good ppp) . The speckeled orange fabric is a corn print I bought a Wal-Mart (before I knew better), & the back is a poly blend. I used a YLI thread (with sewer's aid) no problem's, & pre-wound bob's from bottom line. The pantograph pattern is called PoPcorn by Jodi Beammish, a super easy panto.

Guest Linda S

Very nice GERRY! I love the quilt and you did a really nice job quilting it. I always love the back of a quilt the best, don't you? But, I like the colors and the pattern you chose for the quilt top too. It looks great!

Linda

What beautiful colors in your quilt, Gerry. You did a fine job on the panto as well....I love that pattern. It comes in two sizes and I often use it on baby quilts. Your quilting looks very smooth and even with good spacing of the panto. Now you just have to catch on up your sleep!;)

Hay Rita:

The quilt is 94" by 84", & the panto I used is aprox. 2 rows=8" (I'm guessing), it's a super easy one. I don't worry to much about spacing, I just keep the pattern going as it is on the paper, if I get a full pattern on the bottom "great" if not, I fill in the space with a half pattern, or what ever I need. Of course it's my quilt, so I can do as I please.

The block is called a "Roman stripe" I think, & yes that is coloured corn in the fabric, my gal loved it when she was 16 & still thinks it's cool:cool: today, not sure how her DH feels about it though. ;)

Gerry, I think your quilt turned out great. You did a beautiful job on the panto too. I'll have to order that one, I really like it.

I'm new too. Been lurking for quite awhile, so it feels like I know all of you. Thought it was time for me to be brave and jump in. I've had my "Millie" since last November. Took a week of classes from Myrna Ficken in February, (by the way, she is the GREATEST) and have been having a ball ever since. I just finished a quilt for one of my granddaughters that called for SID. I had been trying real hard to avoid SID with a passion. Hadn't been too successful in practicing. Been buying a lot of different rullers and gadgets and finally found one that worked pretty good for me. Though it's far from perfect, I am reasonably satisfied with the result. My granddaughter was thrilled, and that's what counts. I haven't figuered out how to post pictures yet, but if you would like to see it, it is on my community.webshots.com/user/carolinidaho

Thanks to everyone, you all are to to kind:):)

I think posting pic's is the best, the sweet comments are the incouragement I need to keep it going, & to get the next one done.

Joann: I'll look for the Wildflowers panto, There are so many panto's I want, haven't seen to many I don't like, seen alot that I'm unable to do at the moment, but in time I'll have those to.

Linda F.: I know your free motion quilting far out does me, I like the panto thing, less risky for me, I don't have to think to much, just follow the line, like one of the boys nintendo games. I've had alot of ppp on games (3boys you know) , maybe that's why I find it easy to do panto's. Who knew ;)

Carol V. :) glad you stopped lurking, & started talking. Posting pic's is easy, there is loads of info on the subject, just click on the "search" at the top of the first page, then type in posting photo's (or words to that effect), If you need more help, email me I'll take you through it.

Karen: I try to set up during the day, when the numerous kids are all around, if I'm interupted while I'm loading no biggy, Then when everyone is in bed (DH too) say around 9:30, I can get started, I'm still to new at this to get interupted in the middle of a row, when I get back to it, I land up going in the wrong direction on the line, & I lose my groove.

I've been thinking of getting an I-Pod, so I can move/groove to the music, (oldies of course), I worry though, I'm still listening for the sounds my Gracie makes while she's running, I can almost get when the bobbin is getting low on thread, plus if I'm pushing her to fast, I can hear it, still working on keeping a smooth even speed. It's kind of like driving a standard transmition car, after a while you can hear & feel it, when you have to shift & you don't need to look at your gauges any more.

I have a long way to go ;)

Gerry, I always enjoy reading of your trials and tribulations because I find then inspiring!I must now buy that "popcorn" pattern.it's been on my "to buy list" for awhile...someone awhile ago said it was popular and I got 2 others instead! I too have/used that corn fabric in a fall quilt ( our guilds mystery quilt this year). I'm getting a little more confident w/ my LA..may have the tension figured out..black backing so won't know til i take it off machine...but DD age 13 picked pattern, fabrics and cut them and arranged them.I sewed, pressed and loaded them on the LA. I called her to the room and asked how she wanted it quilted....she said "TIED":oShe did concede that I could stitch in the ditch..yea, right! I am trying it though! Elaine now I must look up" Wildflowers"...easy is what I like!

i50.photobucket.com/albums/f332/onesewise

Hay Onesewise: Tied :D:D It figures.

If you want a good idea on easy/great panto's for newbie's, check out Darlens Epp's web site at www.longarmsupplies.com, she has a beginner panto package, that you can witch around if you already have one in the pack.

Anyway, I like the panto's that are quite tight/dence, & that have short lines, because I can't see my boo boo's, I have a couple that are really hard, I keep going the wrong way on the line so I miss big sections.

Need more PPP, I'm quicklly becomeing a panto junkie, I want them all ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Archived