top thread issue again- update

i'm at my wit's end... what causes the top thread to break (as if it's been cut) while taking the first stitch? i checked my timing, theading, filed rough spots on bobbin race, needle plate, changed needles, turned needle slightly to the left, straightened it again, tension is fine (this has been getting increasingly worse), sandwich not too tight, wd40'd and oiled down completely... what causes the thread to break when it first starts to stitch?? hellllp.... thanks! charla

Sometimes mine breaks when I pull the bobbin thread to the top and lock the stitches. I'm assuming that I'm cutting the thread if I go in the same place and not a little to the left or right. If I start sewing and the thread breaks, I know that's what I did. It usually happens when I'm starting at an intersection, and try to go through too many layers, so I try to be careful. I can't tell it's broken until I start stitching.

thanks libby... but i don't think that's the case... after sleeping on it, i'm thinking that i'll try one more thing before selling my machine for scrap metal... new thread... hopefully i can find something that matches... might have to try maxilock because of the color selection...but i've read where people have used it with success... we'll see... right now i'm using aurifil (orange plastic)... maybe it's too old? i hope this works... would love to get these last few quilts done as i have so many of my own projects i need to finish...

I used maxilock on top and bobbin had problems with the bobbin tension!! what should I have done? Tried for over an hour to get it right but then had to change bobbin thread.

I don't have much thread here and my orders are comming in very slowly. the maxilock I do have in white and a few colors.

Susan, I use Maxilock all the time for the upper thread but rarely in the bobbin. I would need to loosen my bobbin tension if I used it in the bobbin because Maxilock is a bit thicker than what I normally use. IMHO, usually when there is tension issues and you have tinkered with the top tension, you must then go to the bobbin tension to get the perfect stitch you want. One key is avoid getting frustrated. Just know it is not hard to do, just adjust, test, adjust, test and in just a minute it is perfect! I actually like the look of Maxi but try some Metro if you like the sheen.

You may also need some Sewer's Aide. It really does help a lot, for me, anyway and is a standby favorite for any problem threads. I've been known to also use it on non-cotton threads plenty of times, with positive results. Maybe it will help you as well?

Just a thought,

Debbie in Austin

Charla,

When thread breaks, start right off by trying a different cone to eliminate the thread as the culprit. Even if you don't quilt regularly with polyester, it's good to have a cone of it around to try when thread is breaking. A mechanical issue will typically break all thread, regardless of make.

Then try loosening BOTH the top and bobbin tension extremely. Let the bobbin zing to the floor and ignore any preconceived ideas about what the bobbin tension should be. Here your goal is to get the thread to sew without breaking, even if the stitches are awful. Once you are sewing, then start by tightening the top thread tension a bit at a time until your stitches look nicer. Then check the bobbin tension. Chances are that you will be surprised by how little tension the top and bobbin thread require while still being able to produce a good stitch. Let us know how else we can help!

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

.....Chances are that you will be surprised by how little tension the top and bobbin thread require while still being able to produce a good stitch...

this is very true; we tend to string our machines too tight. When in doubt go loosey goosey. :)

Also, try going through two or maybe even just one of the holes directly above the tension disc

actually when i lock my stitches, i pretty much do it one at a time.. a lot of times i'll just 'yellow button' it a few up and back, cut my thread, then start stitching... i bought two new threads on sunday, but haven't tried it yet... one is maxilock and one is mettler (?) that says it'll do machine sewing... wish i could find someone locally who stocks all colors of signature so i could just drive over and pick it up... i'll try to get up my energy to test the new threads tomorrow (with all these problems, i've just lost my joy for quilting)... after getting these last few quilts done (or sent back unquilted), i'm going to lay off for a while--do some knitting or something... thanks for the suggestions.. will get back with results/charla

Take a deep breath, maybe a glass of wine, and keep trying. You'll get it. Walk away and go do something you enjoy. It's hard not to get upset but you will get it. I wanted to pitch Lenni out the window the other night. Not it's fault but how I felt. Good luck

ok... it was the thread for the first quilt... then i put in the next quilt and was having some bobbin problems...so i tossed the 'magic genie' i was using, popped in one of the cardboard sides from one of my prewounds and had no problems after that... just 2 or 3 more very small ones to do then off to do my own piecing!! what a relief... thanks for the help and commisserating with me... happy holidays everyone/charla

now that I finally have the machine running, (dh figured it out). I do think this company could do better with their instruction mannual. However, now the thread is breaking. I've loosed the thread and did all that other nonsense. This is a brand new machine and right now I'm wishing I had my old machine back!

Archived