from design wall to machine

I want to know how others move the the peices from the design wall to the sewing machine with out getting them all confused? My wall is not next to the machine so I have to get up to go get them which doesn't help. It never fails that there is always one that I get turned around and have to take apart and resew. I am sure there is a method to the madness someone came up with.

Hello

I mark my squares with masking tape bits. I call the first row A, then number the squares 1,2,3,etc. I do the whole quilt this way while it is on the wall or, for a large quilt, on the floor. The masking tape bit always goes on the top left corner. I pick up a whole row at a time and piece A1, A2, A3 and on . The position of the masking tape helps with directionality. Then it is B1, B2, B3 etc. This seems to work for me but I am anxious to see if someone has a different plan to keep things straight.

Good luck with future piecing.

Sylvia

I have a small cutting board I lift my block pieces onto making sure I know top from bottom/left to right. The top of this cutting board is marked. When I get to moving the completed blocks for making a row, I pin the top left corner of the left block and then pick up from left to right (left block on top). These are then placed on my smaller cutting board making sure the top block is in keeping with the "top" marking on the board. Once the block or row is done, it goes straight back to the design board to make sure all looks right visually. Since I have used this method for so long, it seems to work and I rarely goof up any more. I have learned never to change my method - disaster!!!! So, I guess, whatever method you decide on, stick with it.

I have numbered all my white lower head pins. I pin the left hand side block of each row.

Pick up blocks from right to left for each row, then sew a row at a time. Leaving the row marker pin in.

I used to put 1 pin, 2 pins etc. writing on the pin heads is so much easier.

I even have a set numbered with letters I use when cutting out pieces for different blocks.

Lyn

i am a slowpoke, but here's how i do it.

i place a pin in the upper left hand corner of the first block of each row. this way i always know which end to leave unconnected. i go one block at a time - place them right sides together at the wall and pin sitting at my bernina. after i sew them together, i head back to the wall for the next block. its alot of up and down, but i like to get moving anyway so i dont get stiff. nad as you can probably surmise, i just dont rush.

i love peicing!

I pin a paper number in the first block on the left of each row, and then I put one on top of the other in the order they need sewing and take a row at a time to my sewing machine (the rest are on the floor at this stage !!!) then I put the completed row on the floor and take the next row, then I attach row 1 to row 2, that way, I can put it all away if I need to and the rows are attached. I leave the number one label on all of the time so that I know where the top left corner of the quilt is at all times, continue in this way until all done (I do make mistakes sometimes though !! )

Happy piecing !!!

Here is how to remove all the blocks from your design wall and take them to your machine in one small stack. Be patient as I am posting lots of pictures and hope you can make sense of it. I have done as large as a full sized quilt using this method. First I'll post the drawing, then some real blocks.

First, take E and place it RST (right sides together) on top of A.

2nd, take F and place it RST on B

Then put G on C and then H on D

post--1346190525427_thumb.jpg

Now take the pile to your machine. Be careful not to disorient your pile. Pick up the first two blocks and sew along the right edge. Do not cut apart. Pick up next 2 blocks and sew. Keep doing this until you come to a Right Side Up block instead of a Wrong side up block. You are now done with the first row. Open the blocks, and sew the next block in the stack to the first pair of blocks. Continue until you reach the end of the pairs.

Open the "threes" and sew the next block to the first set of 3's. Continue until you run of of 3's. Continue in this manner until all blocks are sewn. You can now hold up the whole quilt. Take to the ironing board and press the first row of seams to the right, the next row to the left, next to the right, etc. Now you can sew the horizontal rows .

Archived