To trim or not to trim...that is the question

Do you trim your customers quilts? If so, how far from the borders? or do you trim at the border and square up the quilt?

What do your customers prefer? Do they want to get all the scraps no matter how wide if you trim?

I started out trimming 1 inch from the edge of the quilt. Now, I am not trimming. I like the look of the quilt when giving to the customer if it is trimmed up. It looks more finished? Not sure if that is the right term to use since it still needs binding. Yet, cutting the excess batting and backing takes time and time is money. Granted this isn't alot of time, but it does add up.

Plus some of my customers turn the backing to the front for the binding. Not many do this but a few. Usually the person will tell me that they are going to use the backing as the binding. Do you even list this question on your customer info sheet?

Some LAer's trim here and some don't.

Just wondering what most do...

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA:)

Cheryl,

I have always handed back a quilt untrimmed unless they ask for it....if they do I most generally don't charge for it. It only takes me a few minutes to trim out on my larger tables, so its just a service I give them, and they think they get a lot because its a hassle for them to do it on the kitchen table.

Hay Cheryl :)

I agree with you, the quilt does look more finnished if you trim, & I have to say I love to do it, but I wouldn't trim an inch off, I just trim off the smallest amount of the border that I can get away with. I use the long ruler an follow the seam line of the border, & take off only tinyest sliver, that way if they want to remove more, the client has that option

I just put together a new order form, to use when a customer gives me a quilt in person, on it there is a box that say's "Quilt trimming" upon request "no charge". I'll have to make an effort to ask, I don't think it's a good idea to do it wiyh out permission, some peolpe like a real wide binding too.

A reason not to trim (something I just read on another board) -- the person trimmed it incorrectly - one side is at an angle and not square) and now the quilt is not square and since there were no borders on this quilt, the points on some of the piecing are cut off.

My feeling is if the client doesn't ask you to trim, don't do it unless you leave a very wide margin. I hate trimming and if I had to do it for clients, I would definitely charge something. After all, time is money. Even a little of your time is worth something.

I always trim my customer quilts, no charge. I tell them up front about it when they drop off their quilt tops.

Alot of my customers are elderly and don't have a lot of space to trim up their own quilts. They are so grateful and relieve that when they get there quilts back all they need to do is to add their binding and not have to worry about trying to square & trim their quilts. I also make sure I am very careful and square the quilts and not just whack and hack the edges off, lol.

I only return their scraps to them if they are over 4" wide.

Joann

I goofed about the wording I used when stating I trimmed off 1 inch. What I meant is I trimmed 1 inch away from the quilt top. That way it still looked more "finished" but it then is up to the customer to square and trim the quilt.

I think I will stick to not trimming quilts. I do have one lady who physically cannot trim her quilts so I will continue to do hers as she has asked me too.

Thanks for the insight.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Glad to hear it Cheryl::)

You plum scared me when you said you trimmed off an inch, I think your idea of trimming an inch away from the border is really good, that way it looks trimmed but you don't risk trimming to much of the border off.

So Smart ;)

P.S. I give every scrap of the trimmings back to the client.

I only trim the backing and batting. I keep approx 2 to three inches outside the top.

Some of the older piecers will simply bring the backing to the front and bind that way. This way they can simply cut away the batting and do so on their domestic. Charity and nursing home quilts are done this way sometimes.

I prefer binding but one of my customers does it so well you almost wouldn't notice. This works well on easily pieced quilts or utility type quilts like for ball games and such. At least the extra fabric gives your customer the choice.

I have a box on my take in form- Courtesy Trim Y/N Most are so happy to have it done. As a matter of fact one client was introducing me to another quilter at guild. She said "Caron is really great and blah, blah, and she will TRIM your quilt for free! The other lady nodded and smiled. They all think it's cool, and it looks more finished when they pick it up.

I have always trimmed, untill recently. One of my customers - a quilting teacher - requested that I leave her quilt untrimmed, as she uses the extra material for leverage when she applies her binding. She places her right hand on the overage as she feeds the quilt through her machine. The binding goes on smoother and with a straighter line of stitching. She can then trim up the quilt after the binding is sewn on and turn it to the back with a more even edge. She teaches her quilting students to always leave extra fabric on the outside of their quilts for this reason. Even hand quilters like this option.

I've not done a lot of customer quilts, so enjoyed reading all the comments. Right now I am trimming only the backing and batting as I take it off the frame. I leave an ample 3" or more and have never trimmed the quilt. It would be my luck to do a good job of quilting and then whack into the quilt when squaring it up. If someone asks me to, like my older customers, I'd be glad to do it for nothing. I give the trimmed fabric and batting back to the customer.

Just my 2 cents:o.

I have never trimmed anything on any quilt. I feel it is the customers material and they should be able to do with it at their wishes.

When I trim my quilts I use every little scrap that comes off for other things. If you were to cut off all but 1 inch then that is 1 inch that I would loose.

They brought the quilt for me to quilt not clean up for them. UNLESS they ask me to cut and bind.

I don't do a lot of customer quilts either, and I, too, have a friend who trims her quilts after she has machine sewn the binding.

When I do have to mail a quilt, I only trim withing 3 or so inches so as not to pay for mailing all that extra weight of a totally untrimmed quilt.

I think that is an interesting thought about being able to stitch the binding better on an untrimmed quilt. I am going to give it a try on my next quilt.

When I trimmed I always gave the customer their scrapes back...I surely don't need or want them (same with the larger pieces of batting). I would be drowning in that stuff by now.

Cheryl Mathre

Stone Creek Quilting

Sandy Hook, VA

Seems we each have a way but I think we also know our customers and what will please them. Most of my few customers are returning customers and I know their ways you might say.

If I am uncertain I simply ask. Everytime the reply is"Whatever you want to do is fine with me". I like those customers. lolol

I don't think there is a right or wrong. The important thing is a happy customer in the end and a quilter who feels she has done her customer a good service for the price.

The problem with sewing the binding on before you trim, is how will you know if the borders are true to the quilt. Even if the quilting goes really smooth, the borders are always a little dented, you know what I mean, they no longer have a straight edge, (mostly when you do panto's/edge to edge). When you trim you get a nice straight, smooth edge to line the bindings up to. :).

I always trim my customers quilts, leaving about an inch or so of extra. Yes,

they say it is easier to attach the binding, I still need to try that. I have

always trimmed my own right up to the top. I also give all of the extra stuff

that I have trimmed off back to the customer. I have one lady who some-

times will use her backing for the binding. She lets me know when she

drops them off, then I trim it to 2" extra. Otherwise, she wants it trimmed

to the 1" size. Much easier for them to handle.

Archived