Interesting quilt judging experience

Wanted to share: I was a computer transcriber (two of us) for the judges who were judging the local guild quilts for this weekends show. Thought I'd share what was important to them:

1) Binding needs to be even and not coming from the back to the front. Back to front binding and then machine stitched doesn't look even. The binding needs to have the same thickness throughout and corners mitered well.

2) No hanging threads ANYWHERE! Clean up quilts before turning them in.

3) Make quilts that have enough contrast in color to see the piecing - one quilt was all in teals and one couldn't see what was what.

4) Applique needs to be stitched down evenly or if turned applique, also done evenly.

5) Points need to be points in triangles, etc.

6) Consistency in quilting stitches - no long / short ones.

What was surprising to me was that 90% of the quilts only had pantograph quilting and that didn't hinder the judging as long as the pantograph worked with the quilt theme. Two were hand-quilted (beautifully) and maybe only four of them had custom machine quilting. The one that had gorgeous machine custom quilting did get Best of Show (I loved that one myself and got goose bumps when we looked at it - I don't have any pictures - sorry. - just info.)

I didn't enter anything in this show but found it an outstanding learning experience listening to the judges. They worked hard at not being critical and couched all their statements as a directive for positive changes. Example: Sashing needs to be straight (some were pretty wonky.)

Don't know if all judges are like these two women but I was impressed and feel a little bit better about maybe entering a couple quilts in our local fair this year.

Just wanted to share and maybe inspire more to enter their wonderful quilts in their local shows.

Thanks Laura..............I am hoping to enter a quilt in our State Fair this year and those tips will be helpful. I have no expectations of winning anything, but a friend who enters (and sometimes wins ribbons) said the judges comments are always interesting and fun to see. So, I will give it a try! :)

Originally posted by Joyce

I think that everyone should have a quilt judged. It is a good learning experience .

Agree!

And remember, Judges are QUILTERS, TOO!! :) The last thing they want to do is discourage you. Their goal is to encourage, and to inform, and to promote quilting.

So...... put those quilts into shows, Ladies!! It's all supposed to be fun, not demoralizing.

Guest Linda S

Wonderful! I would recommend working in the judging room to anyone. It's a real learning experience. I worked in the garment judging room for about three years in a row at MQX. Not only was it educational, it was really fun too.

Thanks Laura... I was just looking up info about binding as I'm entering a quilt that I made last December just to see how it will judge. My quilt was excepted, I think it will be fun just to see it hanging and have it judge.

What about the sleeve???? I was reading in Karen McTavish book "Quilting for Show" to learn how to put a sleeve on. I've never done this before and I want the quilt to hang right.

Archived