Dream Puff Batting---HELP

I am NOT a quilter who does this for a living. I just do quilts for myself and charity. But I opened my big mouth and offered to do a baby quilt for a friend.

She sent me the batting called Dream Puff. This is really puffy. I was able to quilt a sample so I do know it will work.

I was thinking of just an overall teardrop type pattern. She wanted circles but I do not know how to do that. I am smart enough to pick something I can DO.

Should I just pretend it is my beloved Warm and Natural? Should I tell her I will not use this batting? My first choice was pack the whole mess back into the box and give it back to her....lol.

Thanks for all your help.:o

I LOVE Dream Puff, & it is very popular with my customers. It's especially nice for baby quilts, as it creates a cute puffy look without the weight and density of cotton. You may need to raise your hopping foot a touch because of the thickness (I don't, but probably should), but otherwise just quilt it like normal & you will be fine.

How puffy is puffy? I have found with the thicker batting I got last time (Thinsulate from 3M) that it shifts more easily than the thinner Thinsulate that I prefer. But it does quilt just as easily in design and movement. You just need to be sure that it is held in place while quilting. I have used Warm and Natural and it does a fairly good job of holding in place but that one also has allowed fabric back shifting for me. All of this experience is on George, not a frame LA.

I would say that you can do it, just don't try to make super small designs because the puff would create more folds and tucks when you need to get close to a previously quilted area. I would call her and tell her that you have quilted a sample and the circles would not look as good as the teardrop (or pick the one you know) with the combination of the supplies given. And be sure to tell her that you know she wants it to looks wonderful to show off her nice piecing and design.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I have used Dream Puff on a crib sized piece that was going to be hung. Actually, it was Dream Puff with a layer of Dream Wool over it so both were puffy and some of the patches were silk. It quilted beautifully. I didn't find I needed to raise the hopping foot at all. I used a template & stylus for the circles and it came out fine. I would certainly use Dream Puff again and think you should be fine.

Good luck.

I recently finished a very large quilt with Dream Puff and it was beautiful. My quilting was not very dense and I did not raise my hopping foot (I'm new and didn't think of that.) It was very forgiving batting. Oh, also, I used Bottomline top and bobbin if that matters.

Teresa

Guest Linda S

Go for it! It will be lovely. I personally do not like warm and natural, not only because it tends to beard on the back of a quilt, but because you can't see the definition of the quilting. Quilters Dream Puff will give the quilt a lovely loft. It will be beautiful!

Archived