Needles for buerying threads

I know some people use the self-threading needles. Be careful what brand you buy. I've found John James and Clover brand to be very good, others shred the thread which can make it very difficult if that only leaves you with an inch to work with. It can be done but it ain't fun. As to where to find, I've bought mine at my local quilt shop, I'm sure there are on line places as well. All that being said, I usually use a big eye embroidery needle for burying threads. It holds all four threads and it doesn't shred it. But that's just IMHO. PS Embroidery needles are easier to find.

It depends on what kind of needles you mean. I use John James self-threading needles, which are readily available at fabric and quilt shops. They work fine.. but not all needles within the package work. One may not thread at all, the others may be good. They are less expensive than the spiral eye needles. If you do a search on "Spiral eye needles" there are videos, etc. to watch. They are pretty pricey, however. The inventor's site has them for $5.50 each or a set of three for $16.00. Since the John James needles work, that's what I use.

Thanks, everyone. Will first go to Joann's and get self threading needles. Then I will also try doll needle. Have a friend who used t o make dolls and still has all of her equipment. will borrow one to try.

Backstitch on some quilts, but like the looks of burying better. But it does take me a lot more time and I am always losing the thread from the needle.

Marilyn

I buy the self threading needles from Joanns. When I pull a fresh needle out of the package I thread it a few times, with dental floss or thick thread or with doubled up thread. It helps to "loosen" up the needle so it won't break your cotton thread.

Renee'

Guest Linda S

I have a whole box (I think 12 packets) of the John James ones. I have one stuck to a Scissor Spot on my machine at all times. I don't often knot and bury except for my own stuff. I used to do it all the time, but that got old really fast!

I read the blog and you said you used a square knot. I'm so glad to hear someone say that. I have been keeping a shameful secret and can now come out of the closet. Hard as I try I cannot make a knot the way Dawn shows on this site. What is the secret to doing that??? Every time I need to tie a knot I try Dawn's method 5-6 times then just give up and tie a square knot.

I went mad & tried the Spiral eye needles. I love the way it works but it bent right opposite the eye opening after 1 quilt. Would love more but I think they are way too expensive. I've gone back to my embroidery needle with the bigger eye. It takes a little longer but works well.

Archived