A little art quilt

Guest Linda S

I am in a group of quilters participating in an exchange of art quilts between the US, Japan, and New Zealand. The Challege was to take a piece of currency (coin or bill) from any country, pick a theme from the currency, then make a quilt that is 50 cm (about 19.7". I chose the new Oregon Quarter, with Crater Lake on the back. My quilt is my interpretation of what Mt. Mazama (the mountain that contains Crater Lake) looked like blowing its top. Unfortunately, I'm not a very good photographer, so you can't see all of the crystals, etc. on it, but you get the idea. The lava is a combination of Superior Metallic (variegate gold/silver/copper), Superior Glitter, and Superior Hologram, all of which ran beautifully through my Liberty. The collection debuts in a couple of weeks in Yokohama.

1312_Mazama_1.jpg

1312_Mazama_2_1.jpg

P.S. - I forgot to say that the smoke plume is dryer lint and yarn under tulle.

Awesome job, Linda! I like your creativity in using dryer lint. LOL!!

I'm sure the Japanese will appreciate your gorgeous volcano quilt. We have many of those things in common around the Pacific rim.

PS: The other day I checked your web site and all of the gorgeous quilts. Girl, you are an awesome quilter. Beautiful stuff. Keep up the good work.

Shana

What a great interpretation...I envy anyone who can do a art quilt...I have tried and they all seem to go in the huge file 13. Your quilts are such an inspiration to us all.

And I must say I'm Laughing my hinny off when I saw what you used for smoke. I thought the only good thing to use lint for was to make fireplace starters.

Linda this is just awesome. I love it. Wasn't it fun to do an art quilt. I have only done two and that was with my DSM. I hope to do one on my "Vera" soon. Plan on putting one in our local quilt show Jan 2008 so I've been thinking about the design. I hope to come back from Houston with ideas bubbling in head. Taking two of Robbi's Classes and I hope they are as fun as I have heard they are.

That's beautiful Linda. Perhaps you ought to encase one of those quarters under netting on the back of the quilt so that all viewers will understand your reference. Maybe even putting it in the corner on the front side would be handy for viewing. Is the Crater Lake image the hot colored area to the left? I can remember driving through Yellowstone after the fire had destroyed vegetation and it looked very similar to the hillside you show on the right with dead charred trunks. The Japanese connection with restless mountains is a good one. I'm sure the viewers will find your piece fascinating.

Is the show going to be documented anywhere? It will be interesting to see what quilts will be exchanged. Foreign currency have such vivid images compared to our greenbacks. It's great that you took a silver image and gave it life.

Vicki

Guest Linda S

LOL Thank you all. The quilts will each hang with a card showing the coin or bill used as inspiration with a description of what we were thinking when we made our quilts. I'm not sure what venues will be available to them this time around. Our last group actually got to have the collection hang in Paducah! It would be thrilling if that were to happen again.

Linda

Archived