Forum ID at Quilt Shows?

Hi All ~

I was at MQS in Kansas City most of the week, staying with my cousin who lives nearby. I only saw one person from this Forum that I knew, Laura, and that's because we have met before. I thought maybe I'd recognize you all through the photos, but I'm willing to bet many of us don't look necessarily look like the photo we post here -- I know my hair is much grayer and standing behind my machine helped disguise any rolls (and I don't mean the rollers on the table!!!)

Anyway, I wasn't sure if I wanted to meet you in person, because sometimes it is nice just to have an online relationship, but now that the week has come and gone, I wish I had met you. Maybe next year, we could do more than just sign the APQS board, and put a certain color sticker or something on our name badges.

Just wanted to say that I missed the opportunity to meet some of you and regret it, but did enjoy seeing Laura again and meeting her family. Also, for those of you that live near Kansas City, my relatives are all from St. Joseph, MO, although I never lived there.

Joan in Duluth, MN

I'm glad you posted this. I, too, was at the show but didn't meet anyone from the forum. I think stickers or something on the name tags is a great idea, especially since I haven't gotten an avatar up yet. Your chances of picking me out of a crowd would be zero! Who's going to Des Moines in October? Maybe we could get something going there.

Guest Linda S

We used to attach purple ribbons to our name tags, but to tell you the truth, I would always forget to look for them! Probably my sometimer's disease, because I'd be nearly home when I would realize that I didn't see anyone from the board!

In past years, we've had a table in the downstairs area, with a big APQS sign. Between classes (or trips through the Vendor Mall!), we could sit at the table, eat lunch or just visit with other APQS "chatters." We have put blue ribbons on our nametags - it's actually pretty cool to be sitting in a class, look down the row and see someone with a blue ribbon tied on their nametag! I wasn't there this year, but I'm sure they did something like this. It's nice to be able to put real faces to the tiny little pictures here!;)

We did do this at MQX in Providence this year - I think it was Anne who made little white paper tags with the dove cut out and tied a little light blue ribbon to it. We picked them up at the APQS booth and it was so great to meet so many that were easier to identify with our APQS ribbons on! We also met for dinner one night and 14 showed up! It was great to meet everyone in person!

I was at MQS and met a few of the ladies from the forum. I met with Joyce and Jeri from this forum and they introduce me to quite a few of the gals. I think they knew everyone there ...lol they introduce me to Claudia too! I also met Linda Card from California who was sitting at the APQS table, can't remember the names of the other gals. I signed the card and put my forum name also so everyone would know who I was.

Joan I was just in your neighborhood this weekend, was going to stop in to say hi, but time got away. I'm always visiting my brother & his wife so one of these days I will stop by. (I'll call first to make sure you are there) I visit Karen when I up there also...

At MQX we try to meet for dinner. That way you aren't always just looking for the ribbons on the nametags. I haven't been to MQS and I hope to go some day. Is there a restaurant anywhere need the show venue where a large group could meet? We were lucky because Dianne was able to make the reservation for us since she was the one who lived the closest to the show. Just a suggestion. It won't work for everyone but many may be able to go if given some time to check there schedule before they get to the show.

I didn't see anyone or any table! Guess I was just mesmerized by the whole thing:) I roomed with Peggy from the forum, *thanks again Peggy*, but I was so into the whole thing I didn't even realize there was a place to meet or a board to sign. Maybe next time we can get organized before we get there.

Judi -- I drove to Kansas City with a friend. Actually, I am originally from Rochester and get down your way to visit relatives once in a while. Sometimes I stay in Rochester overnight before heading to Des Moines or Kansas City, so we could potentially car pool sometime. I would enjoy meeting you. I'm going down for Father's Day, June 18-21 (call me if you are free to try to get together), after the MN Quilt Show in St. Paul. Are you going? Actually, I think I'll do a post for Forum members going to the MN Show...

Jeri -- thanks for letting me know you lived in St. Joe. I have many memories there.

• 2 weeks later...

Did I miss a post about forum members going to the MN Quilt Show? I plan to go on Friday, but will also need to go to the Back to the 50's car show with hubby. We will be coming from Rochester area and staying to do the family reunion the next day--Some people are nuts with pack it all in one weekend schedule!!

I spent a lot of time at MQS volunteering this year, but did get to say hi to a few of you who stopped by the volunteer table. Each time I was able to get downstairs near the APQS table it was empty. Part of the fun of going to the shows is meeting others from the forum and I'm disappointed that I didn't get a chance to meet others of you who were at MQS this year.

Perhaps we could establish a standard color ribbon that we tie onto our name tag/badge at shows. My badge holder still has the blue ribbon from the 2010 MQS show. There are a lot of different colors of blue, maybe red or white would be easier and we could each make our own ribbon.

Archived