Close to my Heart Quilt

Here is the other quilt I entered this weekend. The batting is 5 'real' 200 gram batts from a mill in Alberta. Wool is from good old Alberta sheep. I will post a pic of what the batt looked like on the frame.

I had to SID all over this to hold it together, and it turned out nice and fluffy. I am not sure if the batting will pill over time, will have to wait and see. It is light and so soft. I will post close-ups of the quiting tomorrow when I get it home.

Thanks!!! You have all been an inspiration to this newbie!

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

post--13461906398419_thumb.jpg

It looks challenging to use those "natural" wool batts. It looks like they were carded and not just raw fleece. I love the color and I imagine with some thoughtful cleaning practices they shouldn't bunch at all.

The finished quilt is gorgeous and I echo the requests for some close-ups when you have time. Great job, Joanne!

Here are some close-ups.

Heidi, the batting wasn't too difficult, but I 'pinned the snot out of it' using your quote! I ended up SID all over it with YLI nylon thread or whatever it is called, and then quilted it. You just have to make sure the edges of the batt are teased out when you overlap them. It is very light and fluffy. I will use it again, I am going to quilt a small square and wash it a few times to see what happens. I probably won't use this batting in a quilt I enter in a competition, but it was a lesson to learn.;)

post--13461906409583_thumb.jpg

Archived