Be Careful Out There

As a result of an uncovered cutter blade in one hand while straightening out fabric with the other this morning, I have made the obligatory Rose Red offering of at least 5 drops of blood to the Quilting Muse for this year. No need for stitches, but guess who won't be doing any dishes this holiday weekend.

Could that have been a subconscious motivation?

Be careful. Get an automatically closing blade(which this was) and set it down CLOSED before moving fabric around with your hands.

Ouch!! No dishes for you.....and that's an order:P:P:P:P I sewed through the skin at the end of my pointer finger this week...only drew one drop of blood so I still had to do dishes:( Those darn bandaids do get in the way of quilting)

Be careful out there is right!!!!!!!!!!!

Donna

Oowwie!! I always snap closed my rotary cutter with every slice. Then I unlock again when ready to cut again. It is a very good habit to get into and it's automatic to me now. And, before beginning my cutting, I bow to the rotary cutter gods and take a bow and deep breath. Always good to focus on the potentially dangerous task at hand. :)

Glad you are OK.

Boy, you sure brought back some old memories. About 10 years ago, I was cutting strips with a rotery cutter and noticed one strip needed a little edge fixing. I used one of the 2" x 18" real thin rulers (because it was handy) instead of using the thicker regular rulers. Needless to say, the cutter jumped the edge and cut the side off my pointer and middle fingers. I didn't know finger cuts could bleed so much. I was home alone so I wrapped a lot of paper towels around them and headed to the doctor. I have had quite a few stitches for different injuries and operations but the stitches they put in my fingers were by far the most painful I ever had. I am so glad they have improved the cutters and are safer then the original. Even with that, I really respect them with safety when I use them.

Becky

At least you were quilting. I went for a 15 miles bike ride yesterday...lots of hills..came home hot, sweaty and tired. Caught pedal on recycle bin and went flying onto asphalt in my own driveway. No one around. Broke thumb on right hand...sprained wrist and broke elbow on left hand. Lots of bruising and swelling. Used a popsicle stick to splint thumb and pulled out an old wrist brace for wrist. Elbow will have to go it alone. Sigh. Before that I went out on my 150cc scooter with no problems. Sheesh. Who woulda thought...a bicycle!:(:(:(:(:D:D:D:D

The gal who first taught me how to use the rotary was a stickler and quite military about keeping the blade snapped shut, as soon as we made the cut. That is so ingrained me (because I did not want to get a scolding) that when I teach piecing and rotary cutting, I keep an eagle eye out for that open blade, and crack on my students like a drill sargeant. LOL, dangerous little weapon. Hope you heal up quickly, Sharon!

Archived