VW Bugs return

These were inspired in memory of Patty Jo's husband. My cousin, whose name is Patty, loves to do applique and we both have fun setting them in different backgrounds, as well as coming up with humourous license plates--well, some of them anyway. The quilting is nothing special. I just thought you'd like to see them for inspiration. One is called, "Highway to Heaven", and the other is "Going through the Car Wash". Having too much fun...

Boni

post--13461906577798_thumb.jpg

I LOVE...LOVE....LOVE these.

Did you make up the VW design or is it floating around somewhere I can get my hands on it? Did you machine applique them? Is it an "in the hoop" design or did you hand applique them with the machine or "gasp" truly hand applique?

Don't I have an inquisitive mind today?:D

Oh...I just noticed where you are from. I used to drive through Dundee all the time when I went from Portland (daughter's house) to Amity (son's house). Now I cut over the back way. Next time I'll wave to you.

http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=13334&page=1#pid135926

Oma, this is the thread where Patty Jo posted a picture of the quilt she made for Bill. My cousin Patty does fusible applique and finishes with satin stitch on her Viking. I don't like the plastic feel of Steam a Seam, but she does it mostly for wall hangings.

Quote, "It is from the quilt pattern Buggies #801, by Joni Pike. "

You can go back and read the whole thread to see where these came from.

Lyn, I'm not understanding your post. I'm sorry if I'm dense. 'splain?:o

Oma, I think it must be. We drew it and just made sure to nest the pieces. Patty cut out the window, car is one piece, bumper, two head lights, two tail lights, two tires, and the license plate of course. The trunk/hood is just stitching as are the fenders. Backgrounds are 10x10 with 2 inch sashings and border. She used the script feature on her Viking to stitch the license plate numbers/letters and fused them on. You can make it any size you like. I'm attaching a close-up...just switch the lights and license for front.

Linda, can you dig out a picture? Sounds like it was fun to own.

Patty Jo, yes, I remember very well. I fussy cut an angel in the window of yours. I'm so glad it is a good memory. I didn't think you would mind the remembrance. You all are quite special in my life too. That's why I keep coming back to check in once in a while.

post--13461906578182_thumb.jpg

I'm going to figure out a way to digitize it so it all sews on with my embroidery machine in the hoop. Or I will get it all worked out the way I want it and send it to a friend to digitize for me. Either way...thank you so much for the close up. I love that blue fabric.

I just love your quilts! So adorable!

I had a "Marina Blue" VW bug....many moons ago. :P Husband (when we were first married) traded it in one day and came home with a larger car for me. Huh??? He felt like he was the hood ornament when he was driving it, and didn't like that feeling. Believe me, I was not a happy camper!!!

Archived