Questions about PayPal

We use Paypal for our website. It is easy to set up and easy to use. It is the easiest way to allow customers to pay with a credit card. Returns are quick as well if you need to refund money (we refund if shipping charges are less than expected.) And if your customer doesn't have a PayPal account set up, you can send them an invoice that has instructions for paying without an account. It does charge a fee, but is proven to be safe and convenient for lots of businesses.

Your funds collected are kept for you to use to make your own PayPal purchases, or may easily transfer to your chosen bank account. Dennis takes care of all the transferring and I find it (almost too) easy to spend out of the account!:D

Guest Linda S

I use Paypal also. Yes, there is a fee, but it's much less than having a dedicated POS (that's point of sale, not the other) machine that the bank will charge you BIG fees for. I like being paid for things before i ship them out, so I don't have to worry about checks arriving. To me, it's worth the fee.

We've been using paypal at my family's business since they've been in existence, and for us, it falls under the category of "necessary evil." - They seem wonderful, until you have an unreasonable customer, and then it turns into a nightmare.

A friend had the following situation: He sold a postcard of a crystal vase on eBay. It was really clearly stated that it was a postcard of the vase, not the vase itself (which was rare and valued several thousand dollars.) It was in the "postcard" category, and all communiques with the buyer indicated that it was a *postcard.* The buyer, on receipt of the postcard, was very, very upset that they had not received a crystal vase for the sum total of about five bucks, shipping included.

So they complained to paypal, which they'd used to pay, that the seller was selling items fraudulently. In turn, Paypal froze not just the seller's paypal account, but also put a large hold *on the bank account to which the paypal account was linked* It took more than a month to figure out, during which the seller had no access to that account, and was unable to receive paypal payments for his other auctions. It was nightmarish. Ultimately, he did regain access to both, but he no longer keeps any funds in either account, just in case - the only reason he continues to use PayPal is because, on eBay, you don't really have any other choice.

I have many other stories, but unfortunately, I'm not able to share them. While my family's business continues to use them, it's not by choice. And though I hope quilting customers are more reasonable, I won't be using paypal for my business - it's just too risky to me as a seller.

If you have a Costco membership, I've heard that their fees for accepting credit and debit cards are entirely reasonable - I intend to go with that, instead.

I love PayPal too.

There is one caution -- beware of emails that LOOK like Paypal, where someone is trying to get you to log in to their bogus site so they can get your PayPal information. ANY email that asks you to log in is usually not bona fide.

I know most of you know this, but some may not.

CBS news had a story last week of people in foreign countries obtaining information from these accounts (PayPal was mentioned along with many others) by getting people to log in to their bogus websites. Once you log in, they have your ID and password. Some people lost hundreds of thousands of dollars.

But as long as you are not "taken" by these bogus emails, PayPal is probably the safest way to go.

• 4 months later...

Pay pal is great, especially for the international market- it figures the exchange rate and collects the correct amount. Yes, there is the fee - but worth it. We cancelled our credit card merchant account and just use Pay Pal. There are fees everywhere - our bank charges $5.00 for Canadian checks and the credit card account charged $38.00 a month.

About 2 years ago, I made a purchase on Ebay for some jewelry. I waited 4 weeks and the item never arrived. Luckily, I paid by Paypal. The gal I bought from didn't contact me, even after several emails, so I contacted Paypal. Paypal immediately refunded my money. As it turns out, the gal never shipped the item. I was informed by Paypal that even if she had shipped the product, as long as I didn't receive it, they would issue me a refund as it was the seller's responsibility to make sure the item was shipped and received.

So, if you do use Paypal and your item doesn't make it to the intended buyer, from what I have been told, they can ask for a full reimbursement and receive it from Paypal. Even if the buyer declined insurance! As a "seller" that would make me nervous.

But I agree, Paypal is an easy and fast way to do business on the internet.

Archived