Suggestions for a fill for a baby boy quilt-PICTURE ADDED

I am looking for suggestions for a fill on a quilt for a baby boy - 3 inch squares, I may do CC's or TT's to finish it quickly, but do you have any other 'boy' ideas? There are 4 large 'pictures' in the quilt that have the ABC, 123, boat, balloons and kite in it, the surrounded by the 3 " blocks. I will outline and backfill in the pictures, but am wondering about another idea for the blocks. There is a 3" border where I am going to put stars and loops.

Thanks!!

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

www.artisticquiltdesign.wordpress.com

Hi Joanne--no one has offered any ideas (I think) because you have stated the obvious choices already! CC's are great on 3 inch blocks, are non-gender-specific, and so nice looking. Since you are doing loops and stars in the borders, that would have been my second suggestion as a boy quilt overall. I think there is enough going on in the panels that something intricate is not necessary in the surrounding blocks.

If you want some suggestions for boy-ish fills just to keep in mind--

Loops of course.

Loops and "anything"--like stars, kites, dog/cat paw prints, etc.

A squared maze--like loops only straight-lined.

A big cloud overall looks nice, has curves and is forgiving--but best as an overall where you are not quilting around blocks or objects.

Channel quilting--set the channel locks and quilt horizontal lines all across. This looks more like a bedding design, but is effective on busy novelty fabrics. And so quick to stitch!

Crosshatching.

Have fun and post photos please!

sewhappy, TT's are "Terry Twists". You can find a really great description and diagram on how to do it in this thread (http://www.apqs.com/quiltboard/viewthread.php?tid=28754&page=1#pid366666). I just found that this weekend and it's super easy to follow! Goes very quick, covers well and makes a cool design if you have a solid backing.

Happy Quilting!

Archived