Is polyester the right choice for MS patient?

I had a customer come to me this evening who had a quilt top for a friend of hers with MS. Apparently she is a tiny woman, but still active. I suggested Quilters Dream Poly as the batting because it is lightweight, soft, and warm. I'm not so sure now - would 100% natural (like cotton or bamboo) have been a better choice?

Can you make up a couple 36-44 inch square sample quilts (just layers of fabric, no piecing) and see what the drape and weight difference is with them? (Warmth factor also). I have used Thinsulate for my quilts and love its drape and lightweight and wonderful warmth. When I wanted to make a quilt for my daughter for college (with more consistant winter heat than our home) and one that wouldn't be too hot through the year, I was told cotton was natural and breathed. My daughter has never liked that quilt. It is too heavy, and just doesn't do the job her other one does. The same thing happened for me with bamboo/cotton batting, just too heavy and too hot than the others I had made. I haven't tried the wool yet, but will soon.

I was thinking that you could check/research the differences for the MS person with the sample quilts to find the right one for her. Sorry it would be work that wouldn't seem to pay, but should in the long run, you would know what to offer for different needs.

Thank you for the suggestions. That's a great idea Laura - I'm going to call my customer and ask her to ask her friend. I'm thinking something breathable might be better, I have two choices of cotton - one that is a bit lighter weigth and Warm & Natural that I find is heavy. Wool is another option - lightweight, breathable, and warm, but might be a bit costly for her. Madelyn - I like the idea of the batting samples and have often thought of doing that just to have on hand for my customers. That's my next project!

Caroline,

Last year I got samples of all of QD battings (they sell this sample pack in craft size) and I made a sample of each. I only quilting half the length of each batting, placing them under the sandwich as I went. I just did a simple panto. I cut those apart and serged the edges, making two pieces of each batting. I labeled them with a permanent marker, marking one side washed and one sided unwashed. Once the one piece was washed I sewed the two pieces together along the top. Now the customer can see what it will be like when it is washed and how much shrinkage can occur. My customers love it.

My sister has MS, and also lives here in TX...where we are sweltering in the heat! I know when I make her quilts, she wants poly now. The thing is that MS patients often get many weird and very irritating/painful skin sensations, so any weight touching their skin can be very painful (makes my sister actually cry for hours with her legs). It's horrible. So, it's not what's in the quilt that so important, but the effect of the weight, for many.

I know MS affects everyone a tad differently, depending upon which nerves in your brain it's 'eating', but these folks can get some really uncomfortable, to downright painful, sensations in the limbs (which feels like it's on the skin).

Just our experience...Debbie in Austin

That is really great advice Debbie. I was about to suggest to my customer the cotton or wool, but maybe I should stick with the QD Poly Select? It is very lightweight. It is also soft and maybe not too hot.

If anyone else knows of a specific MS patient, this really helps. I don't think my customer wants to ask the patient directly because it is a surprise gift.

I really do think the poly is a good choice, because of the weight and the washability. Lots of things happen to these MS patients - things that usually aren't discussed in polite company (who, me?). Some folks hardly have any issues, and others suffer terribly. It's hard to know from person to person how the disease will affect them. It's a very individual, daily disease. Since we don't know how the friend is, I would personally error on the side of caution and go with the poly. This way, you won't be wrong, now or in the future...the poly will cover all the bases.

But this is only my thoughts...and I hope it helps some.

Debbie in Austin

Archived