charity quilts

I work with our local layette group and they furnish the batting, backing and binding. When I started with them I told they that I would like to learn to use my machine better and not to expect great things. They were just happy to get quilts quilted. The first three months they hand quilted 4 and I was able to get 25 done. Wasnt too busy with work. But over the summer I havent got any finished and they are ok with that too.

Just did a bunch of charity quilts - getting started as a longarmer so it was great practice - I did not supply the batting, just my time and thread.

I did 12 since July, but I only have a couple regular customers. I am hoping to continue to do 1 or 2 charity quilts a month. I'm going full time now that the kiddies are back in school.

Linda,

I have done 10 charity quilts this year, and 5 comfort quilts this year. The charity quilts I supplied the batting for, they were all going to a local nicu at the hospital. The comfort quilts were much larger and the batting was supplied for them.

Next year I have spoken to 3 local organizations, that make charity quilts for my local area. I have told each of them that I will do 20 quilts per organization. All of these will be lap size or smaller.

I love to quilt, but don't really need the income. So the money I do make from quilting I want to reinvest to make quilts of comfort for my community.

I do furnish the batting and the thread.. one year the DAVA bought a roll of batting, since I make so many QoV and quilt the QoV for others, as well . I've had a couple ladies send me checks to buy batting and thread.. Lovely folks..

The community service quilts go to 3 or 4 Orgs. per year as the guild chooses, and I furnish batting and thread for them.

They all deserve so much more, so these quilts go a long ways..

I forgot to say one gal not too far from us, gave us 3 rolls of batting. Looks to be poly. No name or labels..

My quilt group only does charity quilts and there are 4 of us with longarm machines. The group supplies the batting/backings and we use our own thread. We spread the work among us, so it isn't bad. We buy batting by the roll at JoAnn's with our 50% off coupons, so we save money there. We piece all the tops at our workdays or some ladies like to take fabric home and work on things to bring back to the next meeting. People donate fabric to us all the time and we have a nice stash to work from.

I don't have the number of charity quilts right here that I've done so far this year, but I have the log of my hours sitting here in a folder. So far I've put in 180 hours of quilting for several charities, plus additional hours of piecing. All but one of the quilts I bought the batting for, and used my thread for all of them. Sometimes, I pieced the batting I used, but mostly I just bought it.

In 3 years belonging to a guild 2 hours away, I have donated 30 quilts, 18 receiving blankets and done all the guilds raffle and charity quilts. I have always supplied the batting but since my husbands pay is cut in half, I won't be able to supply the batting.

And so far, I'm the only one that is making the charity quilts (first for the hospital and now for CPS).

Originally posted by sspingler

In 3 years belonging to a guild 2 hours away, I have donated 30 quilts, 18 receiving blankets and done all the guilds raffle and charity quilts. I have always supplied the batting but since my husbands pay is cut in half, I won't be able to supply the batting.

And so far, I'm the only one that is making the charity quilts (first for the hospital and now for CPS).

You are very generous of both your time and your resources. I would advise the guild that because of changing demands on both your time and money, the guild will need to supply at least the batting and offer you a stipend for thread costs or you may need to curtail your generosity. Most guilds do fund-raising to purchase supplies for their charity offerings. Offer to quilt a raffle quilt (without supplying the batting!) so the membership can get involved selling chances then have them purchase a discounted roll of batting for you to use for the charity quilts.

Nothing causes as much resentment as feeling you are being taken advantage of, which, because of your generous nature, causes you to feel guilty. As Shana would say--Sheesh!

I am working on an idea to figure out how many quilts I want to make, or maybe figure it by the number of hours I want to work, so I have a more definate plan of what I want my charitable donations to be for the year. THis year I had to turn down quite a few paying customers to fulfill some donation "obligations" (3 were heavy custom jobs) that were needed at the last minute, and my potential customers needed their quilts done asap. I couldn't do both. My time is so limited that I had to pass them along to other quilters. So, now I have decided to set a limit (could always increase it if I have the free time) on my charity quilts/quilting.

Does anyone else set limits? By hours? By number of quilts? Other way?

When I worked (only for a year) in my company's Foundation, I learned that many businesses decide on the monitory donations they will budget for in the upcoming fiscal year. And then they stick to that amount. If it is $10,000, and only 2 organizations ask for support, each would get $5,000. If 10 organizations ask for assistance, then each would get $1,000, etc.

In 2012, I already know of a quilt I "promised" to donate for a charity ice hockey event in March. I already pruchased the fabric for the top, but still need the backing and batting. I designed the quilt in EQ7, but it will be a very simple, quick to piece top and a nice panto or CL board for the quilting - not custom. It will be a rather generous sized lap quilt, almost the size of a twin. I will also make (start to finish)some children sized quilts for my guild (maybe 6) and make at least one large quilt (like a Turning 20 type of big block quilt) for the VA Hospital. This may be everything I do for 2112.

I just bought another roll of batting from Joann's.......even with 50% off it was $100.

Here is what I've come up with: If I decided to continue to make charity quilt, that's on me... no one is forcing me to make them. But I have 4 BOM tops ready for quilting, 2 of them are queen sized. The guild will have to come up with the batting, and possibly the backing for them unless I can find something I can use. But it will have to be pieced.

So far this month I have 7 quilts to donate to CPS and I used the last of the batting I had on hand.

Thanks for all of the replies. I am furnishing the batting on the charity quilts. I was just wondering what everyone else does. My goal is to do 2 a month - twin size. I'm not quilting for $ at this time. I have learned so much by quilting these comfort quilts. For one, be sure to add a 4" muslin border on all sides of the quilt back so I have something to latch on to :P

Archived