fall leaf applique - need ideas UPDATED WITH PHOTOS 10/9/2011

This is the first quilt that my customer made. She did a beautiful job and I want to quilt it nicely for her. I thought it would talk to me once it was loaded....not so much.

Do you have any ideas? Have you seen it quilted? I think it's a Keepsake Quilting kit.

My customer stitched carefully around each leaf edge and she stitched veins in the leaves. I'm not sure how I should stitch around the leaves. I don't want to shred the edges. Maybe I should stitch inside of her stitching with invisible thread? I know the middle of the leaves will need to be tacked down, so I'm thinking about stitching over her veins. ????

I'm thinking cc around green triangles. Not sure how to fill the background. There are some big spaces in the corners that could use something special.

Thanks for your ideas!

post--13461906988707_thumb.jpg

That quilt is gorgeous!

I think you are exactly right about stitching over her stitching with invisible thread, including the veins. I think it is talking to you after all! As for a background fill in the dark blue background--those swirls printed in the border fabric would be perfect.

If you want something special in the corners, stitch a few "ghost leaves" like the appliqued ones. Place a piece of wool or poly just behind those leaves for a trapunto effect. Stich it in thread to match the background fill. If you do anything more elaborate it will pull the eye away from the busy center of the quilt. Make the viewer want to get closer and really look at the quilting.;)

Originally posted by LadyLake

What a beautiful quilt! I like to use the 'windy sky meander' (Darlene Epp's Pocket Guide to Freehanding) with falling leaves. It is basically traveling tendrils. You could combine those with the spirals.

That sounds pretty. Do you have a photo I could see? I don't have that book.

I found the Blowing Wind filler on Leah Day's website. I like that too. I have some playing to do:P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

At long last, TA DA!!!! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. This was my first time ever trying trapunto, and it was soooooo fun! Easy too;)

Here's the quilt top. I used Hobbs 80/20 blend (not thrilled with the pokies on the back, but looks good on top). I used a variety of threads. YLI monopoly for SID and to stitch over the leaf veins in the applique, top and bobbin. That's the only stitching I did in the appliqued leaves. The backgrounds was done with Wonderfil Invisifil, top and bobbin. Glide in the small orange border and So Fine in the outer border.

post--13461907116293_thumb.jpg

Another close up. I didn't try to stitch very close to the applique leaves in the background, but next time I will. I couldn't sketch the background around the leaves without softening the points on them, but after doing so much of the filler, I think I'd change that next time.

And the cc's in the green leaves starts in the corner, swoops up to make three peaks, tallest in the center, and back down to the corner. Reminds me of the Tetons, where I live;)

post--13461907116868_thumb.jpg

Archived