needles

Originally posted by Tori Spencer

Is it just me or does anyone else hate the Groz-Becker needles that APQS recommends? I'm really disappointed in them. The only thing they seem to be good for is frustration and filling the garbage can!

Where did you purchase the needles? I took an APQS Maintenance Class from Amy Anderson and she said the needles sold by other companies are not the correct shape for APQS machines. She said to order the needles directly from APQS to get the correct needles for APQS machines.

I purchased some from my local store and didn't really like them because they seemed to dull so quickly. Then the folks at APQS told me they had special ones that they recommended and they are even worse! Maybe I got a bad batch or something: :) But I can't ever seem to make any of them work at all!! I feel bad for saying this on their forum but last night when I started it I was just really frustrated with them for giving me problems constantly when they were especially recommended.

I buy directly from an APQS supplier or from Superior Threads. They are Groz-Beckart. I haven't had any trouble with them. Superior now has needles listed by longarm manufacturer so you get the right kind.

How many quilts do you do before changing..........what type of fabric are you quilting through? I know quilting through Batiks dulled my needles much faster than quilting through regular cottons.

They say to change needles with every quilt...........I don't do that, but it will also depend on the size of the quilt and how much quilting I am doing on it.

I use Groz-Becker needles all the time. I have purchased them from both APQS and Superoir Threads and I have't had any problems with them. I have a range of sizes from 3.5 to 5.0 and use the size according to thread/fabric. I change my needle about every 20 hrs. of quilting or if it sounds dull,but usually 20 hrs seems to work. I wonder if you have another problem that is causing your troubles. You may want to call tech support and see what they think.

I use Gros Beckert needles all the time. The titanium coated stay sharp much longer than the chrome ones. I've had no problems with either. Gros Beckert now owns the Singer name for needles so which ever you buy, they are made by the same company. Don't know whether they are made in the same plant or not. I've got an Ult2 with an M bobbin system, but I used them with the L system before I upgraded the machine, and had no problems. Jim

Archived