Almost can't believe I did this one

Wow, I can't believe this one is done. I made this for a co-worker for his wife, as an anniversary gift. It has taken me a loooong time, but I am really happy with it.

The roses are hand applique. Lots of SID. And, I did a feather border. Yeah me!! My first. The fabric is all cotton sateen. The color is darker than it appears in the photos. The pics give it a reddish tint that it really doesn't have. More of a chocolate color in real life. QD wool batting, which I love! Thread: BL on bottom, So Fine on top.

Now, How in the world am I going to wet this monster down so I can block it? Any suggestions? It won't fit in my washer, but SIL has a lg capacity front loader. Would this be safe?

post--13461907057131_thumb.jpg

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!! It is beautiful. I am greatly impressed.

I sometimes block by putting a sheet on my carpeting, spray both sides of the quilt with water, square it up and pin it to the carpet. After a couple of days. I flip the quilt and repin. I, also, put a fan on it after the first day.

Peggy that quilt is stunning! Love everything about it and WAY TO GO on them Feathers!!!! I"m so proud of you. You can wash it in a front loader no problem. I also dry mine and I've used QD wool for a long time! You can also certainly lay it out block it and let it air dry which I do for all my show quilts. It is usually dry by the next morning. I put a sheet down and then my quilt over that. I pin right into the carpet. IF you don't have carpet then get some of those foam insulation boards, probably two for this one since it is so big, cover the board with a sheet and then pin right into it. Works great.

this is fabulous! of course i have questions....sorry.

may i ask when you are making a design like this from scratch (which i assume you did) do you mark it and them put it on the machine or do you mark as you go?

do you use templates or freehand it?

did you draw the whole thing out before you mark it?

you did a super job on this. it's really lovely.

Archived