Warm & Natural / which side up?

I know this subject has already been covered several times here on the forum but I could not come up with anything when I searched the archives. I know that there is a scrim on Warm & Natural batting and that one side is supposed to face the quilt top and one side is supposed to face the backing.

Sorry to repeat the question but ... How do I tell which is which?

Thanks in advance, Nancy in Tucson

Warm & Natural? Dirty side up always.

I am trying to wean my customers off W&N. Though it is a great product and the go-to batting for cotton lovers, those flecks of debris on the top side show through white/light fabrics. I quilted an applique top that had been partially hand-quilted six years before and put away. When it came to me, the cotton debris (which must have included some parts of the cottonseeds) had stained the white fabric--little spots of brown all over. Washing removed the spots, so no harm done. But it wasn't washed until after I had finished the quilting and my customer was concerned.

Yep, I learned that one too. Dimples up and pimples down. I always make sure by placing a scrap piece of fabric on the extra side of the batting and quilt a bit and then check the back. If it looks good, I proceed to quilt the top. I have taken the batting off and turned the batting around before. Better to be safe than sorry later.

Sorry that you had such a bad experience with Warm & Natural, Linda. I only needed to use that batting once and I was done with it. My preference is Quilters Dream Cotton (deluxe loft) or Wool. I was asking the question for one of my quilting students who purchased the W&N already. I wanted to advise her properly. Thanks so much to all who responded. Nancy in Tucson:)

I am not a fan of the W&N cotton but the Warm Blend is not too bad. I am finishing up an antique quilt and like you said Robin, it is all bunch at the bottom even though I have been very careful to smooth it all out as I go. It seems like it stretches or something. But it is hard to get customers over the 40% off coupon habit.

I find it odd that so many of you don't like W & N. I love it. I use it in a lot of my personal quilts. It's too expensive here for most of my customers but a few ask me to provide it for them. One of the reasons I use it is it is a lot cleaner than most of the cotton waddings I've used and I love the thickness of it. In fact the quilts on my bed right now have it in.

What do you mean by bunching up at the bottom of the quilt? What other problems have you found with it?

Ferret

My only problem is the flecks of debris.

For that reason, though I happily accept W&N from customers, sometimes I have to show them why it might not be the best choice. I carry a bolt of Warm & White for resale and offer packaged QD in wool, silk, and poly as well.

The Warm Company has a plant 20 miles from me and the guild is planning a field trip next spring. I will ask the question why they leave the bits on the batting. I assume it's all about the "natural" part but there is show-through on whites like bleached muslin.

Hmmm, now that is really interesting. I didn't remember it looking like that so I have just gone and checked my rolls. Mine don't have those flecks. I wonder if there is either a quality control issue or if perhaps some resellers get a slightly different wadding? It's worth know as I assume it is possible I will get a grubby one at some point. So far I've been lucky.

Ferret

Originally posted by Ferret

Hmmm, now that is really interesting. I didn't remember it looking like that so I have just gone and checked my rolls. Mine don't have those flecks. I wonder if there is either a quality control issue or if perhaps some resellers get a slightly different wadding? It's worth know as I assume it is possible I will get a grubby one at some point. So far I've been lucky.

Ferret

Are you sure your batting is Warm & Natural and not Warm & White?

If you are getting W&N without the flecks of garbage, please share your source because I have never had any that didn't have the flecks and I would like to order a bolt!

I just loaded a bamboo batting--it's 50/50 with cotton and IT had flecks of crap on the top side as well. :(

Can I add just $.02 here. When started quilting with my domestic machine every LQS and teacher I ran into said to only use Warm and Natural, maybe they were all Cotton Purist! Looking back I think it had more to do with the thin batt which could be rolled tighter helping to more into the domestic machine while quilting. I started using it when I began long arm quilting. I had terrible coughing episodes all the time. When I went to quilt shows as Barb M.'s booth helper and she used a different batt I noticed I didn't choke all the time. I bought an air cleaner for my studio and it helped, but when I changed to another brand of batting usually 80/20 blend all my breathing problems went away. I try to only use W&N for wall hangings as the flatness is great for those applications. I believe whatever is left in the batting I am very allergic to. It is the worst batting for leaving Fuzz Bunnies too, I chase them all the when I use it and for days after. I am telling my customers I just don't use it unless it is a last resort or they

cry if I refuse. I hope I am in the minority with the allergy to it, I know they are a good company.

I guess I don't understand how they can clean one side and leave the other side so "dirty"??

Shar, when I started seven years ago, I, too, had a lot of allergy problems and I did use Warm Company products. Now I have a pretty good air cleaner that runs when I'm quilting, and I use Quilter's Dream products almost exclusively and haven't had near the symptoms I used to. You've got a point worth considering.

Warm and Natural or Warm and White have very few problems for me. Once in a while I find a

couple of debris on the top and they are just picked off. The dirty side down always give better result.

Bunching at the bottom has never been a problem, don't understand for sure, what is meant by "bunching at the bottom" so not sure if that is the right response.

I buy mine at Joanns, when the top manager is off, as he won't let the gals sell a whole roll.

They have other cheaper bats, which I won't buy. We plan to visit the Dream sales room in VA when we have free time and $$ at the same time. :D:o

:o

Originally posted by RitaR

I buy mine at Joanns, when the top manager is off, as he won't let the gals sell a whole roll.

:o

Hi Rita! What a controlling jerk the manager must be! No other Joann's I deal with has ever limited what you can buy--even with a coupon. It just says for a discount it must be one piece. Next time just ask for 15 yards of batting. They will have to get out a new roll and after measuring it out (what a time-waster that will be!) tell them you would like it loaded back onto the cardboard tube. Oh, and could you please have the box as well to keep it clean on the way home?;)

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Are you sure your batting is Warm & Natural and not Warm & White?

If you are getting W&N without the flecks of garbage, please share your source because I have never had any that didn't have the flecks and I would like to order a bolt!

Yup absolutely certain. I think my last couple came through the shop I work at so I will ask where it came from. I will warn you I am in the UK, so ideally you'll want to track who supplied the supplier.

Ferret

I know I've already posted here but I have another problem with W & N. I am convinced that it has something to do sometimes with my thread tension problems. I have at long last pretty well perfected tension with every thread I use as long as I have Hobbs 80/20. Today, using W & N (brought by customer) I have run into various tension issues that I NEVER have. I am using So Fine top & bottom. Top thread is either shredding or the bobbin is suddenly too tight when I've tested it in the TOWA guage, etc. Have had to frog three times already and only on first row. ARRRGGGHHHH. If someone has another idea of what the problem could be, please chime in.

Archived