Quilt with Oma's Garden Panto

closeup

Many of the small patches in the blocks are on the bias, which presented difficulty, both for the piecer to attach the border, and for me to quilt. To help with the fullness, I stitched the border in the ditch with black Bottom Line before quilting. The backing is red, and I have found the 'medium red' #603 Bottom Line, to be a good 'neutral' blender color. Here is a link to the panto, in case you want a better look:

http://columbiariverquilting.com/sophie_collier_oma_s_garden.html

post--13461907170019_thumb.jpg

Thank you everyone. The quilt color actually isn't quite as bright as it shows in the photo. I used the 'enhancer' editing function, since I took the photo in lower light. But, it is going to make a very homey, warm quilt for the customer's bed. The QD wool batt made it into a light, but warm quilt.

Joan:

My hat is off to you, I can't tell you how much I relish your quilting photos and look forward to your beautiful work that you share with us all.

As soon as I get my new canvas leaders along with Red Snappers I'll be joining you all with some show'n'tell.....

Keep up your fabulous quilting Joan.... your sure an inspiration to me to get back at it after quite a long hiatus....

Hi Joan - wow, lovely quilt :o) And I LOVE that panto!

I looked up Oma's Garden but confess I am confused as the design pic on the Pattern station looks much more dense than your lovely quilting. Am I looking at the wrong one ??? http://www.quiltscomplete.com/Products/Omas-Garden-13__SPQ-OG-13.aspx

It also says *the pattern can be stitched as a no-shift design or can be shifted for a more freehand look* ....... ummm .... I haven't a CLUE what that means, can anyone enlighten me??

Pretty please ???

- Ani

Devon England

Hi Ani,

The link you gave does show the same panto that I used. I think the pattern shown on the quiltscomplete website looks denser because the scale is much smaller than actual. Also, I think that I managed to take the photo right at a section of the quilting where there is more of a gap between the quilted rows.

The 'shift' or 'no shift' option with this panto is really nice. With the 'no shift' option, you just quilt one row right after the other, without shifting the paper pattern at all. With the 'shift' option, the pattern has marks on it (maybe 18" apart or so). You quilt one row, then shift the pattern to the right where the mark is, and quilt the second row, then shift the pattern to the left back where you started. That way the design elements in the panto are not one right on top of the other, but are shifted, so there is more variety. It will make sense if you purchase the pattern, because Sophie Collier gives good directions with the Oma's Garden panto. Best wishes to you!

Aha! Thanks Joan, that makes sense - well, as much as it could without actually seeing the panto! hehe

So - you shift the pattern after you roll on for the next quilting row - correct? Did you shift when you quilted this one?

You know - this craft of ours never ceases to amaze me - there is always something new to learn, new skills to discover, new twists to techniques we use ......... Great fun - innit ??? hehehe

- Ani

Devon England

Archived