non-stick iron?

Hi.

Do you use non-stick irons?

My regular iron has lots of fusible on it from the t-shirt quilt I am making. If I get one, will the fusible not stick to the soleplate, or will I still have to clean the gunk off?

This project is taking a toll on my iron. If I have to get a new one, would it be better to get a non-stick?

Thanks!

i finally bought a DRY iron and I love it. I ruined a quilt block years ago by using 'steam' and swore never again to use water in an iron. then lately i found that the holes in the soleplates were catching on the fabric as i ironed ... so finally said that's it ... and bought a dry iron. Found it on-line. And I love it. Gets really really hot.

I have this non-stick iron. It really stays pretty clean. If you do get some fusible on the bottom, just run it over a paper towel or an old bath towel and all the fusible comes right off. This is the second one of these irons I have bought, and I love it.

The first one...believe it or not....a spider managed to crawl into it and drown when I forgot to close the little door where the water goes in. I never could get all the spider parts out of it, and it eventually clogged the steam mechanism. It still heats fine. What are the odds????

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_10?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=iron+t-fal&sprefix=iron+t-fal

I bought a cheap $10 Black and Decker Teflon-coated iron and within a week of using it on applique using the starch and turn method, the iron would stick to everything and needed cleaning every few minutes it seemed. Perhaps a better quality Teflon-coated iron would be better than mine. I do have a nice iron but it is heavy and hurts my hands if I'm doing the starch and turn applique.

Guest Linda S

I have the dry iron from Vermont Country Store too, and I love it. I'll give you another Sharon Schamber tip for cleaning your iron. Get your iron very hot. Get a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and get it wet. Put it down on a towel and iron it firmly with the hot iron. Most if not all of the goop will come off!

Hi.

I have and like my Rowenta and have used it as a dry iron with no issues. It is my second in 15 years, not too bad. Recently, I have had to use steam for fusing and all I have are problems now: leaking, rusty stains and a messy soleplate. How annoying!

Cheryl - I knew some where, some one said a big negative about the non-stick irons - that was it! They do not get as hot. I was all set to get one and knew there was a reason not to. Thanks for jogging my memory!

I am tempted to try the one from Vermont, Linda, thanks for the recommendation.

Lynn - I went to the t-fal site and found this. A Ceramic sole plate and lifetime warranty! Sounds perfect. I am going to check our local Kohl's today.

ww.t-falusa.com/All+Products/Linen+Care/Steam+irons/Products/FV4476+T-fal+Ultraglide+Easycord+Iron/FV4476+Ultraglide+EasyCord+Iron.htm

JUST CHECKED: The warranty only is for the soleplate...not sure what that means. Chips? Rust? leaks? not getting hot?

Why is is so difficult to make a trouble-free iron? It just has to get hot and stay hot. Maybe I'll use a spray bottle to make steam and avoid the problems with rust and leaks.

Thanks!

I've emailed to Dyson and asked them if they can make such a good vacumn cleaner, could they please also make a good iron that doesn't leak and drip? I'd also be happy to test drive it for them.... they did write back and said they have some things in the works but could not tell me what they are....so who knows?

I haven't had a bit of problem with my either of my T-fal irons dripping or leaking. Neiter of them ever left rusty water on anything. The new T-fal one has a removable valve that you can take out and clean. It stays on for quite awhile, and re-heats quickly if it does shut off. It gets hot enough to scorch fabric...so I can't imagine you'd want one to get any hotter. It puts out a lot of steam, and I have used it to steam problem blocks into submission while the quilt is on the longarm. For the price, to me, its perfect. And, you get free shipping from Amazon, and no sales tax. The steam shuts off completely if you choose. I love this iron.

Vicki - good thinking about Dyson! You go girl.

Lynn - T-fal it is, thanks!!

I cleaned my iron yesterday to get the burned on gunk off and it smoked my room! The Dritz Iron Off instructions said to expect this but, wow, it lingered for a long time. Being cold outside, I did not want the window open a long time so I had to work in the "fog"!

Thanks everyone.

I had two Rowentas and both of them leaked. I bought a Eurosteam and I really like it. I keep it set to dry, and then just push the steam button when I need it. No leaking. Makes it easy to "press" as you go, rather than "ironing", so you don't tend to distort your fabric, but you do get good crisp pressing because of the blast of steam. It doesn't turn off, so you have to remember to do so at the end of your sewing session.

I have been careful so far to always use a teflon sheet when fusing, so I don't know how hard it will be to clean the bottom. Also haven't done heavy spray & starch - but the blast of steam seems to work so well I haven't really needed it.

You need to use distilled water with this iron.

I've only had it for a couple of years - but so far it is the best iron I've ever used. I think it was Heidi who recommended it on a thread here a couple of years ago.

Archived