back support while quilting

I wear by Dansko clogs to quilt. I know it sounds weird but I was having a sore lower back from quilting long hours (find myself really leaning in to see what I am doing to SID or microstipple etc. ***note to self get open toe foot)...I switched to wearing my Dansko's and the problem went away. They are a bit pricy but are well worth it.....I have had mine for 5 years (wore them as uniform shoes for a while) and they are still in great shape.

I have red ones....

http://dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Styles/Shoes/

they even have a "patchwork" version

http://dansko.com/Womens/Footwear/Collections/Sanibel/Volley/Blue%20Patchwork%20Coated%20Canvas/

they used to have cow and other animal print ones....they are not only comfortable, they give great back support and can be fun!

(I do not work for Dansko, did not get compenstated in any way for this post):P

I keep a comfy pair of clogs by my machine--not sure of the brand have had them forever. They are really handy when I need to be a little taller when I'm doing custom work. Since I usually just quilt with socks on they are easy to slip off and on as needed.

I sometimes wear just a simple lifting type back support (from an old job) if I'm doing lots of small fill or detail work if my back starts complaining.

Originally posted by Neher-in-law5

Interesting, I have been wearing Clark's shoes (clogs) for years and these look so similar. I even found some stores in my area that carry them. I'll need to do some exploring shopping today!!

I have sevarl clarks as well....which are really comfortable but not quite the back support that Dansko's provide.

Also the Dansko's make me taller! ;)

I'll have to try this...I have a couple pairs of Dansko clogs. I bought them when I first got hurt because my doctor told me to get out of my Birkenstock's they were adding to my back problem. He was right. Who knew??? I had worn Birkenstocks for years because they were supposed to be good for your back. Evidently not after you are injured. Hmmmm. The Dansko clogs have been great...I just don't wear them in the summer because I live in sunny California and they look goofy with shorts. LOL.

I also have the gel mats on both sides of my machine and those are WONDERFUL. I do have to push them in under the machine when I'm sitting on my chair.

My daughter says she has a pair of white Dansko clogs in size 41 (European) which is relevant to a size 9 or 10 (American). She will look at the size to be sure when she gets home from work. She bought them for nursing school and only wore them during clinicals. She doesn't wear white shoes now. She would sell them for $50 if anyone is interested. She'll send me a pic.

Originally posted by Antoinette

Also good for plantar fasciitis.........I've been having a terrible time with my ankle being

sore all the time like it was broke. My nurse friend said "try something with a little height other than you sneakers". Sure enough I dug out my Dansko's and ta da. Better much better.

I need to wear clogs/mules because of my ankles. Can't walk in anything that rubs on the ankle bone.

I found that Easy Spirit has two styles that help me. One is called Travel Time and it is a really good shoe. But their anti-gravity mule is my favorite. So comfortable!

Also found out I have one leg shorter that the other and that was causing my sciatic nerve problem. Bought a heel lift from Amazon and started using it. The lift has about 4 parts so you can adjust to your need. I use the 1/4 inch. Problem solved. Wish all my problems were solved that easy and quick.

:D

• 3 months later...

After reading this thread, I dug out my Z Coil shoes that haven't been wore in 5 years. I will be putting those on next time I quilt. For those of you who don't know, Z Coil shoes actually have a coil in the heel. These shoes (mine are sandles), while very very ugly, give 2" of lift but are bouncy and provide great cushion for the heel. I wore them at a time in my life when I had Plantars Faciatis(?) and my heel couldn't stand any pounding. I can't wait to put those ugly shoes on to quilt. Had been thinking of selling them but won't know. Thanks for the idea ladies. Ja

Archived