Do you all do this?

At my last long arm meeting, two gals who use "other" machines, said they add a drop of oil to the hook(?) after each bobbin... Now I know I'm blonde (or was), but did I miss something? Is that a normal thing?

Anyway, I began doing it and things actually run a bit smoother. I was often having thread getting caught in the hook and now I'm not.

So what other parts do you clean while you are quilting a quilt? Just askin'!

I clean after each quilt, but during? What do ya think? What else am I missing?

ABM recommends that we use a drop of oil to our hook assembly with every bobbin change on our Innova machines. I can tell when I am getting to the end of a bobbin because I hear a different sound from the assembly - still sews well just gets a bit noisier. Once I change the bobbin and add the drop of oil - resumes purring quietly. I also check for any dust in the bobbin assembly when changing the bobbin - often brush out with a small brush - better safe than sorry. I now do the same with my Millie. A drop is very little and I don't get any build up. I am sure I would if I used too much.

Bobbette, I brush the lint from the bobbin area at most bobbin changes, depending what thread I am using. Some threads are more 'linty' than otheres. Then I also put a drop of oil just at the bottom of the casing which houses the bobbin, and it sure helps things run more smoothly!

In the mornings before I begin to quilt, I walk around my table checking the wheels and table top, dusting things down with a bit of spare batting as I go. I find this quick visual check often prevents problems from happening later ie. catching a bit of thread that's caught around the wheel. I also clean my tracks once a month or so, and wax with a fine antique grade wax called 'Renaissance'. It seems to slow down the build up of that black stuff. I always make sure I clean the tracks and table before I take a quilt off as I dread getting it on the back of the quilt!

I also cover my machine with a large plastic sleeve (from a roll of batting) at night when I've finished work. AND I always cover the quilt on the frame so it keeps clean.

After we did the maintenance class over here, I realised I needed to take off the front cover and dust out inside, but I've yet to do this bit!!

Thanks for all the info gals! Somehow I had "missed" that tip - however - NOW I do it all the time! I blow the lint from the bobbin case and the hook, as well as the rest of the machine... It sure makes a difference! I really should put something over my machine when I'm not using it - my place is sooo dusty!

I DO cover my quilts when they are loaded - especially the ones I've marked - I don't let the sun get on them and I have lots of windows in the studio part of my home! I also "park" my machine off the quilt at night - just in case.

Thanks again!

Originally posted by Bobbi47

So what other parts do you clean while you are quilting a quilt? Just askin'!

Yes, I always start my "day" with a blow out and drop or two of oil in the hook area. And I often put a drop or two of oil in the bobbin "hook" assembly area after blowing out and several bobbin changes. And I always always do it when I do the thorough blow+WD40+oil drops on hook assembly. Always oil after WD40.

I use a precision tip bottle so it just gives a tiny oil drop exactly where I want it.

Originally posted by Bobbi47

I clean after each quilt, but during? What do ya think? What else am I missing?

During quilting, yes sometimes, depending on how fuzzy everthing is getting. I always blow out my bobbin after each bobbin change. I also blow off the needle bar if it's fuzzy.

I also blow out my bobbin case! :)

My little shark vacuum... that puppy is running often. I always use it before I load a quilt, and just before I unload a quilt. I don't like any stray threads getting on the batting or quilt top or backing. I usually wipe down my table and rails before quilting and if the quilt is predominately white or cream, I always wipe down the rails to avoid any black oxidation from getting on the fabric.

I haven't noticed any oil on the back of the quilts, but like Shana, I use the oil thingy that has the "precision" nozzle on it... I only use a drop. I park the machine off the quilt, take the thread out of the needle, and run the machine for several seconds. Then I wipe out the hook area. I do all this after I have "blown" out the hook, the needle plate, the bobbin case, etc.

So, the point is that there should then be enough oil to lubricate the hook, but not enough to "spray" up onto the quilt....

Thanks everyone for your great comments and ideas! This has been very helpful and informative!

One more question for ya - I have an electric fabric advance on my machine - I love it! While I do blow it out and try to keep it "dust free", is there more maintenance due on this? Let me know!!!

Archived