Does anyone do embroidered labels?

Hi

Does anyone do embroidered quilt labels? I have a pfaff creative 2 and haven't really experimented much yet with the digitised embroidery, but want to start doing some quilt labels. Does anyone have any advice or know of any good websites where I can download stuff or buy stuff?

Thanks.

Hi Janette-

I like www.emblibrary.com, They have some nice quilt labels and block designs too.

I've been using a Janome Memory craft 10000/10001 but am thinking about switching to a small Brother. I find that I only use my embroidery machine for quilt labels, and those are no bigger than 5" x 7".

I have Digitizer 10000 software and my machine uses the cards, so I have an adapter at my computer where I can transfer a design that I save with the software to the card, then take the card to the embroidery machine. That took quite a while to figure out. You probably have an easier USP connection. Another reason to switch to the new Brother!

Anyway, I typically start with a quilt label design that I've downloaded from Embroidery Library. I open that in my Digitizer software and add the quilt name, my name, year and any other info that I need. When it's a gift I'll put the recipients name too. I use the software to adjust the thread colors too, so I can see what it'll look like.

It's a lot of fun and they look so much nicer than writing with pen on fabric. I really like to do this. This is making me think that I have a couple to stitch out right now!

Good luck!

I have made some embroidered labels with my Pfaff. I have the 2170 and just brought home the new Creative Sensation. I use emblibrary.com too. They have great sales, each week they have a bunch of designs for a dollar to one fifty each. Plus other deals frequently so if you like something but want to wait to purchase put it on your "wish list" and when the 10 for $5 comes, or other deals, transfer to the shopping basket and go for it.

Which machine is the Creative 2? Is that one that doesn't have a separate embroidery unit? If so, you can still make embroidered labels but would be more limited in the sizes of lettering that you can use. Enjoy it.

Janette, I also stand by www.emblibrary.com for my designs. I have been using them for years with great results. I also use their photo "frames" for quilt labels. I only use the top (design) layer, instead of cutting out the center, I place my lettering inside the frame. You can get a lot inside the frame and they come in different sizes. I'm at work or I would post a pic. Once you register, they have a lot of good sales weekly.

I do a fair amount of embroidery and use embroidery library them all the time. They "always" have sales going on. I think this morning already I rec'd a 40% off order coupon. Check out their monthly free designs too. I will try to pick out a design to in some way match the theme of the quilt....and some times throw this in as an option if the customer wants a label to go along with their quilt....

Jeantte

I use my Pfaff Creative Vision to make lables with it all the time and it is very easy to make. One rule to remember is use a layer of statibler for each 10,000 stitches (add a layer of stitches as the number of stitches go up) also besure to have the fabric that you are using larger then you need because it will pull in some.

I'm with DB. Any of you want to sell me some? I have a Brother 8200 and it is a PITA to use. I don't have a digitizer. It takes me just too much time to do a label. I could do a whole other quilt in that time. And besides, I really don't like doing it. :cool:

Peggy

Hi Janette, I have never posted on this forum but have learned tons from all of you. I have had my machine (Millie) for a little over a year now and I love it. I just want to give you my input on embroidered labels. I have a Janome 300E which is a machine embroidered only. I love it and make tons of labels for all of my charity quilts and for my own quilts. I subscribed to Artistic Threads.com and for as little as $19.95 every 3 months I have access to tons of designs. Sometimes, I just use a design with my label but most times (because I am in a hurry) I use the software that came with my machine and just add what I want the label to say. I usually make it all one color to save time. It doesn't take too long and I love to have the year on all my quilts. I would be happy to make quilt labels for anyone. Just let me know. Thanks- Barbara

I'm doing the happy dance that Janette asked this question and I got to learn of emblibrary! Yay, Yay, Yay!!!

In my six or so years of quilting I have only put a quilt label on one quilt. I know, I know, bad me! Help me correct this error of my ways and tell me what size labels are the best to purchase at emblibrary for embroidering? I'm thinking that the small sizes may be too small but am not sure if the big ones are too big? Help, please! LOL

I use the designs from emblibrary all the time and I use the embird, http://www.embird.com/, software to add multiple designs together or to add lettering. It's the best embroidery editing software for the money. I have been using it for a lot of years now. I do have the Husquavarna software, but I like embird a lot better and it is a whole lot cheaper.

Janette, I just called my Pfaff dealer. The gal said that if you have 4D pfaff software suite (the whole group of software units, like embroidery extra, sketch, portrait, etc.) you could do anything you want. If you have only what came with the Creative 2 (probably 4D File Assistant and 4D Organizer) you should be able to use purchased designs. File assistant is a storage unit, that you can add purchased designs in the storage files. (I used it for a long time with my Pfaff 2140) Organizer will let you search for designs that you have stored and you should be able to layer a frame design and add lettering depending on what fonts you have with the machine. If you have Quick Fonts you can do quite a bit (and add more fonts from the computer, I think). She suggested that you go to the Pfaff site (pfaffusa.com or the European site) to check out the comparisons and just what came with your machine (if you bought it from a dealer instead of second party sale).

I hope this helps you.

Thanks, I have 4d organiser, 4d quickfonts, 4d configure, and 4d embroidery, I think I need to read up again on how to use it all and see if it does what I want it to.

At the moment it is all on my laptop, I can see where all of the designs are, which I can move to a usb stick and take to the embroidery unit, at the minute, I just can't see how to add wording.

I am sure I'll work it out eventually I have a 58 page guide which I have just found in a file - I thought the manual was a bit lacking in information LOL....

Guest Linda S

I've been doing them lately myself. I have a Brother PE780D (Disney, which I'm not jazzed about, but the designs are there if anyone wants me to use them). I download from Emblibrary, and I also have the Embird software. Just the basic and the fonts. Using the fonts, I can write whatever I like on the labels, so they can be really personalized. I'm waffling on the digitizing software between Embird's and Art and Stitch (big price difference), because I think I would also like to digitize for my IQ. But, knowing how horribly lazy I am, I'm afraid I'd spend the money and then not use the software to its fullest potential.

Hi Janette

If you have 4D Embroidery, you will be able to use the letter tab, to write what you would like to put on your labels. There are other tabs as well for motifs and frames. You should see the tabs on the Top right hand side of the window.

There is a selection of different types of fonts.example of a couple being Script, modern, traditional. My brain has shut off for the night, so I wont explain anymore as I will end up confusing you as well as myself.

The program I use is the 5D The same as yours but the later version . My software has all the modules. But unless you want to digitise you don't need them.

Here is a link to tutorials posted by VSM Which should give you an Understanding how to use it

http://www.vsmsoftware.net/education/4D/tutorials.html

Hope this helps

If you need any help, just get in touch.

I put embroidered labels on most every quilt but I keep them very basic: name of quilt, who it is for, my name, date, and basic washing instructions - just change the font according to the design of the quilt. I have a basic digitized format/template that I created some time ago so they go pretty quick. I always use a piece of backing fabric and tend to use a thread that either blends with the backing or is a color selected from the backing.

Archived